Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 10:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apologists that may be lying
Apologists that may be lying
I was listening to an interview with Tracie Harris recently and she stated that she investigated some of the claims of Josh McDowell and seemed convinced that he knew he was leaving information out in his books and was dishonest. Are there any apologists that you suspect may not be sincere and know they are deceiving people?
RE: Apologists that may be lying
.............other than all of them, you mean?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If their lips are moving they are lying.
Self convinced snake oil salesman are amateurs.  They're no good at what they do because they're the consumer of their own product.  The really succesful salesmen know that what they're selling is shit.....it's that knowledge that helps them to succeed in the first place. They know that their product costs pennies and can be sold for dollars.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
WH spokesperson Sarah Sanders.

Hell, her daddy was a preechur, she knows the drill obviously, but she can still tell whoppers with the best of them.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The thing with apologists is, they know the arguments too well to be arguing as poorly as they do. I'm sure there are a few honest apologists out there, but by and large, they are little more than sleazy attorneys. 

For instance, Answers in Genesis keeps pushing the way-past-debunked "evolution violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics" argument when they know damn well it's horseshit. They have to know. The first 9 out of ten google hits will lay it out plainly. The reason they keep using it is to take advantage of the general ignorance of their audience. If that isn't intellectual dishonesty, I don't know what is.
I'd like to think most apologists know when to hold them, know when to fold them, when to walk away and when to run.

Not too many would try to 'splain something like this:

Acts 26  (KJV)
23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles.

The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I always had to work for my money...

I guess I envy those that fleece the sheep without feeding them proper.
(March 31, 2018 at 6:28 pm)LastPoet Wrote: I always had to work for my money...

I guess I envy those that fleece the sheep without feeding them proper.

Mormonism exacts quite a toll on their apologists. They are rarely schooled as to the actual church history and when the questions inevitably arise and they check PUBLISHED church documents that confirm the questions have difficult answers, their apologists have a very steep and unexpected learning curve to negotiate.

(an early revelation Joe Smith inflicted on his made up church which has come back to bite them again and again is that they were commanded by God to be a record keeping people. So they kept records. Unfortunately for the current Mormon hierarchy, a tremendous amount of this material was published at one time or another. Subsequent sea changes in LDS dogma, and even nearly every single revelation they received from God has been changed multiple times has been thoroughly documented and published by the church itself. The original polygamy revelation, for instance, originally commanded all wives subsequent to the first be Native American. God changed his mind several times on this revelation before he decided to pull the plug on it entirely. And for those willing to wade thru published LDS materials, all the versions of that revelation have been revealed. It's a tough topic for LDS apologists, repeated changes to the polygamy revelation calls into question their God's judgment, or their ability to discern just what in the Holy Hell He is going on about. And remember, no matter how twisted the trail of revelation revisions are, their apologists are REQUIRED to claim all the versions are mutually consistent and most of the revisions are for clarity or grammar, It's atough job, I feel for them. I don't feel for their minders and overseers, however)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A simple God question if I may. ignoramus 28 5467 February 17, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Apologists Shuffle 42 7439 August 13, 2015 at 3:10 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religion may not be the enemy. The_greatest_river 58 12029 December 25, 2014 at 11:59 am
Last Post: Alex K
Bug Rant on the "Soul-Making" Theodicy- WARNING MAY INDUCE VOMITING StealthySkeptic 13 3577 July 19, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  Religious Fundamentalism 'May Be Categorised As Mental Illness & Cured By Science' downbeatplumb 1 1475 June 1, 2013 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Lying about the Promised Land A_Nony_Mouse 0 731 April 30, 2013 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: A_Nony_Mouse
  Religion may not survive the Internet KichigaiNeko 41 11711 January 26, 2013 at 8:49 am
Last Post: John V
  Breeds of Apologists (and how to debate them) DeistPaladin 18 6042 January 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: mr.atheist
  May God show you the way. Freedom 28 8856 February 6, 2012 at 2:34 am
Last Post: AthiestAtheist
  Adopting Religion for fear of what may transpire post death? Forsaken 28 8119 December 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: Strongbad