Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cloud Act
The Cloud Act
Big developments in the world of internet privacy, If your a cloud user you may want to be careful. The statement Microsoft put out is quite disturbing as well, another issue as well is how will this effect non-cloud users?

https://www.aclu.org/blog/privacy-techno...egislation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CLOUD_Act
https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issue...ding-bill/
     “A man isn't tiny or giant enough to defeat anything” Yukio Mishima

RE: The Cloud Act
Meh, I'd rather just scroll down real fast and click "accept".
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 1, 2018 at 8:45 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Meh, I'd rather just scroll down real fast and click "accept".

It could happen to you !!!

[Image: humanCentiPad01_press.jpg]
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

All this "opt-in" shit. I've had to go throttle Cortana many times. Seems like whenever an update is pushed out, all the nosy shit gets turned back on. My wife got caught up in the scraping shit that FB did, or was at least party to. She did NOT opt into that. Of course, scare tactics about Cheeto von Tweeto not winning (on FB) had zero effect on her. But a lot of other people fell for that shit. She has friends that she explains shit to all the time, when they come to her bitching about some crazy crap they read on the internet. How they aren't able to parse that on their own mystifies me, to be honest. I don't even use FB. I don't give a shit what people had for breakfast (some of the best bacon I've ever had, and a cherry danish with a nice hot cuppa java, just for the record), Tongue   and I generally expect reciprocity. :nods:
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
Oh, don't get me started on Cortana.....just bought a new computer and hoping there's a way to disable the bitch.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Don't store illegal shit on the internet. Gotcha.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(April 1, 2018 at 9:55 pm)Lutrinae Wrote: Oh, don't get me started on Cortana.....just bought a new computer and hoping there's a way to disable the bitch.

It's a pretty simple process.

1) Go here and download the installer.
2) Make a bootable USB out of the iso with Rufus.
3) Restart your computer and boot off the USB.
4) Run the Installer, selecting "Format Partition."
5) Enjoy a Cortana free operating system!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Ewww, Linux Mint.

Use Ubuntu or Manjaro instead.
Lubuntu - Artful Ardvark

Love it.
I'm using straight Ubuntu (16.04 LTS) for work purposes.  It does the job.  I used Manjaro as a daily driver for a while and really liked it.  It's a user-friendly rolling release Arch distro.  In my experience, it's up there with Ubuntu in the "it just works" category.

I've soured on Mint for a couple reasons.  They were utterly pwned 2-3 years ago.  They were less than half-assed with their security measures, hosting their .iso repository on the same server as their hardly updated and largely unpatched WordPress site, which ultimately lead to backdoors being installed in an unknown number of machines.  Also, their drive for system stability is asinine*.  If a package update causes a problem, they simply blacklist it, even if it contains a security update.  They don't work with upstream to fix the issue, they just ignore it.  So, Mint machines wind up being Frankencomputers left at various states of security flaws.

*Maybe they smartened up since I abandoned Mint, but there are better choices out there regardless (whatever one might think of Canonical, Ubuntu is rock solid, and Manjaro actively works with upstream to mitigate stability issues while ensuring security updates are released on time).  And if you like the Cinnamon desktop environment, it's trivial to install it on just about any other distro.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intimidation and defamation. Last desperate act. Brian37 16 1688 January 4, 2021 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Dear Orange Fuckface-Your Act Is Getting Old Minimalist 0 236 August 31, 2018 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Alabama Board of Education Had Best Clean Up Its Act Minimalist 42 7628 September 11, 2017 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Long But Complete Details of the Magnitsky Act Minimalist 3 511 August 10, 2017 at 12:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Australian state (ACT) passes blasphemy law to protect Muslims mralstoner 22 4208 August 15, 2016 at 12:29 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Oil Company/Act of God brewer 1 814 January 20, 2016 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Every Student Succeeds Act, passed and to be signed by Obama Minimalist 1 1172 December 10, 2015 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Cecelia