Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I like Portishead Who would you Recommend
If I like Portishead Who would you Recommend
I like Portishead. Quite a lot actually. The noir feel. Beth Gibbons's voice of longing and despair. There's no one else like them...or is there?

Any recommendations?
RE: If I like Portishead Who would you Recommend
(April 3, 2018 at 12:38 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: I like Portishead. Quite a lot actually. The noir feel. Beth Gibbons's voice of longing and despair. There's no one else like them...or is there?

Any recommendations?

The band massive attack is kind of like them.  They did the song "Angel" which was featured on the soundtrack for the british gangster film snatch. 

They're both classed as trip hop.  

The song roads is my favourite Portishead song, glory box is probably my second favourite.  I think Alessia Cara did a good song using the backing track to glory box.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Check out Alina Baraz & Galimatias - Urban Flora EP. It's not as trip hoppy but I think you'll like it.
If water rots the soles of your boots, what does it do to your intestines?
I've been looking for similar albums myself.

Goldfrapp's first album Felt Mountain is definitely worth buying. It's excellent with soulful female vocals, creative use of instruments and interesting effects. But don't bother with the rest of their albums as they subsequently gave up trip hop and went disco. If you do nothing else then listen to the single 'Lovely Head'.

Massive Attack have many albums which you might enjoy but they can tend towards rap sometimes.

You might also like Sneaker Pimp's Becoming X which is another classic of the genre that came out around the time of Portishead's first album. Unfortunately they got rid of the female singer on subsequent albums and did the vocals themselves which IMHO just didn't compare.

You might also want to check out the French band Air. They have been consistently good for 20 years now and often get guest vocals in. Moon Safari is their classic debut album.

Not trip hop, but it might also be worthwhile listening to Radiohead's latest three albums (In Rainbows, King of Limbs, A Moon Shaped Pool) as they have moved away from rock and are focusing more on interesting melodies. Male singer though.
Thanks guys. I'll check these guys out. Radiohead was already on my list - been a fan of them as well for years.
(April 3, 2018 at 12:38 pm)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: I like Portishead. Quite a lot actually. The noir feel. Beth Gibbons's voice of longing and despair. There's no one else like them...or is there?

Any recommendations?

Radiohead.

EDIT: Okay, what do you think of this?

I'd recommend Massive Attack, Tricky, DJ Shadow, and Air.

Also The Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, and The Prodigy for something more upbeat, but similar.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Other than trip-hop artists that have already been mentioned - early Morcheeba, especially the first album, Who Can You Trust, sounds a lot like a more laid-back, easy-listening version of Portishead. Lamb is somewhat similar, though with more electronic/dance influences, but I never really listened to them.

Moloko also shares some similarities, though they have their very own - more upbeat and funky - style. I'd probably recommend this one the most, even if it's not really the closest match.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
Portishead may have trip-hop elements... and they may be considered "Trip-Hop" but they don't really sound anything like the rest of the trip-hop genre. This is one of the perfect examples of why limiting music to specific genres is a really limited way of evaluating music, for me.

Morcheeba are great... I love their first two albums, and I like their best of collection which I listened to for a while... but they sound nothing like Portishead.

As for Massive Attack, there's only a couple of Massive Attack songs that really give a similar sort of feel to Portishead. Sure all these bands contain Trip-Hop rhythms and the same sorts of instruments, but the overall vibe and feel is completely different. They don't, emotionally, really sound anything like each other. Radiohead is closest to Portishead in vibe, and Radiohead are a completely different genre.

Sod genres, lol. 90% of everything from any genre is crap. I wouldn't consider any of these bands to be anything special (Portishead's Glory Box is an absolute classic though, as is Massive Attack's Teardrop).

But if you're going for something with a similar feel to Portishead, I dunno if you'll find anything with the same sort of feel within the Trip-Hop genre.

And criticism of it all aside, Mezzanine is on a whole other level, for me. Most of Massive Attack is "meh" for me, but that whole album, Mezzanine... is superb.

I don't think it sounds anything like Portishead though.
I'd recommend Ween and Regurgitator.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would American TV do a programme on religion like this. downbeatplumb 3 917 April 12, 2014 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome