Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Islamo-Christianity
Islamo-Christianity
In another forum that I participate in with Min, as well as elsewhere online, I've gotten into the habit of using the term "Islamo-Christianity".

I've started using it because I can't find a dime's worth of difference between Islam and Christianity. Christians will claim to be less violent but I've received more death threats from them than from Muslims. I have little doubt that if Christian leaders had their way, we'd go back to the days of old when heretics were tortured and burned at the stake.

The biggest difference is that Muslim clerical leaders have the kind of power that Christian clerics can only fondly remember.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: Islamo-Christianity
(July 8, 2010 at 4:34 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: In another forum that I participate in with Min, as well as elsewhere online, I've gotten into the habit of using the term "Islamo-Christianity".

I've started using it because I can't find a dime's worth of difference between Islam and Christianity. Christians will claim to be less violent but I've received more death threats from them than from Muslims. I have little doubt that if Christian leaders had their way, we'd go back to the days of old when heretics were tortured and burned at the stake.

The biggest difference is that Muslim clerical leaders have the kind of power that Christian clerics can only fondly remember.

In some ways, I agree. Muslims in the East are like Christians in the West were in about the 12th century, ideologically speaking. They haven't had the benefits of an Enlightenment and centuries of secular liberalising influences. Mind you, there isn't a clearly defined Christian equivalent of jihad, so, whilst Christians may threaten you, they'd be unlikely to walk the talk, as it were.
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
(July 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: Mind you, there isn't a clearly defined Christian equivalent of jihad

Crusade? Or is there a distinction I'm not aware of? Just curious.
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
I've always used the term 'Judeo-Christian', since Jews and Christians believe the same books, if a bit differently. All three of them do, though... so maybe it should be extended to 'Christjudiuslim'.

Just kidding. I agree with your statement. The Muslims are basically at the same level that the Christians were at a few hundred years ago. The "Western World" has only recently (relatively) been accessible to people over there, and their governments are doing everything they can to stop it. Freedom and modern conveniences are too tempting. It must be all the evil.
Quote:"All who die by the way, whether by land or by sea, or in battle against the pagans, shall have immediate remission of sins. This I grant them through the power of God with which I am invested. O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ! With what reproaches will the Lord overwhelm us if you do not aid those who, with us, profess the Christian religion! Let those who have been accustomed unjustly to wage private warfare against the faithful now go against the infidels and end with victory this war which should have been begun long ago. Let those who for a long time, have been robbers, now become knights. Let those who have been fighting against their brothers and relatives now fight in a proper way against the barbarians. Let those who have been serving as mercenaries for small pay now obtain the eternal reward. Let those who have been wearing themselves out in both body and soul now work for a double honor. Behold! on this side will be the sorrowful and poor, on that, the rich; on this side, the enemies of the Lord, on that, his friends. Let those who go not put off the journey, but rent their lands and collect money for their expenses; and as soon as winter is over and spring comes, let hem eagerly set out on the way with God as their guide."

Thus spake Urban II in launching the Crusade, according to Fulcher of Chartres who was present.

Proving that then, as now, popes are full of shit. I always like to point out that Urban II did not lead them but sat on his fat ass in Rome. Typical.
(July 8, 2010 at 5:02 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: I've always used the term 'Judeo-Christian', since Jews and Christians believe the same books, if a bit differently. All three of them do, though... so maybe it should be extended to 'Christjudiuslim'.

Just kidding. I agree with your statement. The Muslims are basically at the same level that the Christians were at a few hundred years ago. The "Western World" has only recently (relatively) been accessible to people over there, and their governments are doing everything they can to stop it. Freedom and modern conveniences are too tempting. It must be all the evil.

There IS one very important difference between Judaism and Islamo-Christianity that merits a distinction. Provided you don't live on a strip of land on the Eastern Med that their real-estate agent in the sky hadn't sold to them, they pretty much leave everyone else alone.

I have yet to experience any Jew knocking on my door and asking if I've yet found Moses.

I admire that in a religion. Keep it out of my life and leave me alone.
Very true. I only grouped them as believing in the same god.

I honestly cannot say that I have ever met a Jew in my life. I'm sure I have, but they weren't wearing a "I'm a Jew!" t-shirt or anything.
Shouldn't the group that worship the same angry desert go be called the Abrahamic religion?
(July 8, 2010 at 5:21 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Very true. I only grouped them as believing in the same god.

I honestly cannot say that I have ever met a Jew in my life. I'm sure I have, but they weren't wearing a "I'm a Jew!" t-shirt or anything.

Courtesy of Woody Allen's Love and Death:

Quote:Priest: You never saw a Jew?
Here. I have some sketches.

Woody- These are Jews. No kidding.
- They all have these horns?

Piriest - No, this is the Russian Jew.
The German Jew has these stripes.

So next time you'll know!
just as a side note the word "jihad" is usually an inner struggle or conflict. also, (some?) Muslims tend to call Christians and Jews fellow people of The Book. It's the same until you get to Isaac and Iseal. (I don't think that's spelled right.)

I think my whole post was a side note. I just remember that stuff from the world religions class I took last year.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]