Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maize
Maize
This remains an astonishing story.  It's hard to imagine how this could have been done in 9,000 BC by supposedly primitive farmers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/scien...ature.html

Quote:Tracking the Ancestry of Corn Back 9,000 Years

Quote:Researchers led by Anthony Ranere of Temple University and Dolores Piperno of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History excavated caves and rock shelters in the region, searching for tools used by their inhabitants, maize starch grains and other microscopic evidence of maize.
In the Xihuatoxtla shelter, they discovered an array of stone milling tools with maize residue on them. The oldest tools were found in a layer of deposits that were 8,700 years old. This is the earliest physical evidence of maize use obtained to date, and it coincides very nicely with the time frame of maize domestication estimated from DNA analysis.
The most impressive aspect of the maize story is what it tells us about the capabilities of agriculturalists 9,000 years ago. These people were living in small groups and shifting their settlements seasonally. Yet they were able to transform a grass with many inconvenient, unwanted features into a high-yielding, easily harvested food crop. The domestication process must have occurred in many stages over a considerable length of time as many different, independent characteristics of the plant were modified.

So much more impressive than any bible/koran based "miracles."
RE: Maize
A-maize-ing!
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
That's a pun, right?
(April 7, 2018 at 6:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote: That's a pun, right?

And a pretty corny one to boot.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 7, 2018 at 7:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(April 7, 2018 at 6:44 pm)Minimalist Wrote: That's a pun, right?

And a pretty corny one to boot.

Boru

Pshhh, you come up with one better.
~ Erin Hunter
(April 7, 2018 at 7:47 pm)Lutrinae Wrote:
(April 7, 2018 at 7:46 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: And a pretty corny one to boot.

Boru

Pshhh, you come up with one better.

Why don't YOU come up with a corn joke?  Go ahead - I'm all ears.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I fell right into that one.
~ Erin Hunter
I feel like someone's stalking me.
The domestication of wheat was a slackers tale compared to the domestication of maize.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

I suspect they found the original of some use, and exploited random mutations as they came along. (Beer comes to mind.)