Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the lulz
For the lulz
Received an email from a guy wanting to register on the forums. Hilarity ensues:

Quote:I like very much the idea of your forum.  I was reading the rules, and I had some questions.  I will only ask a few here, as I may get the idea from the answers to those.  Afterwards, I may ask a few more.  I have Asperger's syndrome so I take things litterally.  I don't know how to aproach "these are the rules but don't attempt to apply them litterally."  I have little choice but to interperate rules litterally.  I am very bad a reading between the lines.  One example of the confusion this causes is I don't understand why you can call an arguement "stupid."  I understood the word to be just about allways offensive, implying an inability to learn.  Whereas I thought flawed arguements contain a fallacy formal or informal.  It seems to me specifically uncongenial to say such language is ok.

What is trolling or hit and run posting?  Can a person comment without being willing to discuss or argue there point?  I don't like to interact, but sometimes I have an idea or view I believe to be overlooked and might just want to say it and walk away.  Is this dissalowed?

Thank you

My response:

Tiberius Wrote:You can call an argument "stupid" in the sense that it is is wrong or nonsensical. It wouldn't be "stupid" in the literal sense; it's just a phrase. However calling someone "stupid" is quite another thing, as it is an insult.

Trolling is the act of discussing in such a way that is meant to provoke or elicit an emotional response from someone. Hit-and-run postings are posts where the author creates a post and then leaves. This wouldn't really cover your example, but as it is a discussion forum, you are expected to interact with people. If you feel this is a problem, I wouldn't suggest you register.

-Adrian

His response:

Quote:I was afraid of this.  I have an I.Q. over 150.  I can't talk to most people because they are not smart enough to keep up with me.  Your non responsive response has convinced me I'm dealing with the same thing here with you.  Thanks anyway.  good luck, average person.

So, time to break the Internet law and "feed the troll":

Tiberius Wrote:Most people on the forums are of high intelligence. Your evaluation of my response - and I should point out you contradict yourself when you call a response 'non-responsive' - is in err. I have a Mensa confirmed IQ of 155, so you can drop the feeling of superiority.

I answered all your questions about the forums, and given that you stated openly that you wouldn't like to discuss things (on a *discussion* forum no less), I recommended you didn't sign up. It was that simple. I stand by my recommendation, but for a different reason: we don't need arrogant jerks like yourself ruining the atmosphere. If you can overcome your feelings of superiority and are prepared to actually talk to people properly, then feel free to register.

-Adrian

He fires back:

Quote:Honestly?  Your life is so empty you feel compelled to pursue such an obviously fruitless conversation?  I told you no thanks and good luck.  Grow up, child.  Act professional.  Mensa is for insecure pseudo-intellectuals.  You ask for donations and you tell people not to bother to register.  Good luck with that business model.  You might take an introductory logic course, because you are obviously unqualified to do what you are attempting.  I will archive any further contact from you without reading it so don't bother.

My final (maybe) response:

Tiberius Wrote:Grow up? You sent me an email asking me some questions about the forums. I replied to them honestly, and in return I get a snarky reply which stinks of arrogance.

Mensa may be for insecure pseudo-intellectuals, but the processes they use to determine IQ are well established in the intelligence community. I never said I was a member of Mensa, only that my IQ was confirmed by them, which is the case.

We ask for donations since we need to pay for the server. You are the first person I've told not to register, since you stated in your questions that you did not want to participate in discussion. In other words, you were wanting to register to a service that you had no intention of using.

Introductory logic course? That's rich coming from the guy who said my response was "non-responsive".

Have fun with the archiving.

Adrian
RE: For the lulz
ROFLOL ... that would have been a fun one to have around
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Hilarious. Between this idiot & Cerrone, it's unreal how full of themselves some people are.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
He's got a point about AS though, they do tend to take things literally a lot and have a hard time with empathizing or the reading of sarcasm.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Yeah, which is why the first email I sent was sincere. I thought he was being serious, so i answered him seriously. I didn't tell him he couldn't register, I said if he thought it would be a problem, he shouldn't.

That is when it all went downhill.
If he's got AS then I'm the Pope.

And yes I know someone with aspergers, they don't act like that.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Well, isn't he humble Smile
Ownage Tongue

Funniest thing i've read all day.
Shoulda invited him in for some roasting though. Big Grin