Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 12:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Twins who commited suicide were reading 'The God Delusion'
Twins who commited suicide were reading 'The God Delusion'
http://www.news.com.au/world/suicide-twi...5961214736

Quote:BOOKS found in the luggage of the Australian twin sisters who carried out a suicide pact at a Colorado shooting range suggest they were searching for meaning.

Confused Fall

Notice how the article mentions several books these sisters were carrying in their luggage, but somehow they decided to single out Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion in the headline as if concluding that particular book had to be the reason for their actions.

Typical reaction by religious, conservative media trying to blame atheism for the stupid actions of some people. This is beyond ridiculous. Reminds me of an article I read once regarding two kids driving a car recklessly and found with a copy of a Need for Speed game in the car.

Sure let's put all the blame for the world's problems in atheist books and video games.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Atheist I Evolved!
RE: Twins who commited suicide were reading 'The God Delusion'
Quote:Police investigating the death of Kristin Hermeler, 29, and the attempted suicide of her sister Candice, also found written notes that suggest they did not have a good relationship with their mother or others living in Australia.

You know....I remember that line in the God Delusion. Dawkins wrote: "Don't like mama? Shoot yourself in the fucking head."

He should be more careful!
(November 25, 2010 at 9:36 pm)DiRNiS Wrote: http://www.news.com.au/world/suicide-twi...5961214736

Quote:BOOKS found in the luggage of the Australian twin sisters who carried out a suicide pact at a Colorado shooting range suggest they were searching for meaning.

Confused Fall

Notice how the article mentions several books these sisters were carrying in their luggage, but somehow they decided to single out Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion in the headline as if concluding that particular book had to be the reason for their actions.

Typical reaction by religious, conservative media trying to blame atheism for the stupid actions of some people. This is beyond ridiculous. Reminds me of an article I read once regarding two kids driving a car recklessly and found with a copy of a Need for Speed game in the car.

Sure let's put all the blame for the world's problems in atheist books and video games.

Contrast that with 9/11 everyone of the bombers was a Quran believing Muslims and read that book everyday. However I dunno if that fact was mentioned. I bet if the twins had a copy of Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren it would have never been mentioned in the press.

undefined
Quote:Too Nice For Your Own Good: How to Stop Making Nine Self-Sabotaging Mistakes

Suicide wouldn't be considered a self-sabotaging mistake?

I can't see how the God Delusion is relevant in this story. Dunno
"Faith is about taking a comforting, childlike view of a disturbing and complicated world." ~ Edward Current

[Image: Invisible_Pink_Unicorn_by_stampystampy.gif] [Image: 91b7ba0967f80c8c43c58fdf3fa0571a.gif] [Image: Secular_Humanist_by_MaruLovesStamps.gif]
You know, I heard that there were hairdryers in their luggage... I always said those were dangerous...
'We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.' H.L. Mencken

'False religion' is the ultimate tautology.

'It is just like man's vanity and impertinence to call an animal dumb because it is dumb to his dull perceptions.' Mark Twain

'I care not much for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.' Abraham Lincoln
If Dawkins convinced them there is no afterlife, why would they commit suicide? It is more likely Dawkins failed to convince them that there is no better life than this one.
Blame Hitchens, Dawkins & Harris...
(November 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: You know, I heard that there were hairdryers in their luggage... I always said those were dangerous...

Hell, the list at the end mentioned they had Ke$ha's CD in their suitcase as well. Maybe the irritating cadences of her voice played a bigger role in their suicide than Dawkins did.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Yea, because once I understood this was the only life I had I went and attempted suicide.
I find it funny that they think the reason for their suicide/attempted suicide could be discovered in their luggage. Unless there is a suicide note in their luggage, it is doubtful they are going to find anything worth a shit.
I typically carry 6-10 books of various subjects in my bags when I travel. When I finally decide to achieve the eternal peace I've always wished for, I'll be sure to blatantly mark which one sent me over the edge. Most likely it'll be the one that describes another world so fantastic and fanciful that I just can't take this one and I'll off myself in hopes of being reincarnated into that one...where I'll get to fly around with a harp and white nightgown...
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Teen suicide robvalue 32 6168 January 10, 2015 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Regina