Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People surviving being swallowed by giant creature.
People surviving being swallowed by giant creature.
I'm watching a Let's Play where the main character has to go inside a giant snake to get something, and it made me think about all the stories where you have to go inside some creature, and you're able to survive. That's pretty much the opposite of what's supposed to happen when something gets swallowed.

Where do stories like this come from? Why do people make stories of someone being swallowed, and not promptly suffocating or dissolving in digestive fluids?
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

RE: People surviving being swallowed by giant creature.
I'm certain there is an English word and concept for that kind of fiction writing.

Metaphor.
Poetic license.
At least the whale one is true !
The bible does not lie!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
There's parasites that can be swallowed and survive.  

The stories probably come from someone thinking it would be a cool idea.  It is a bit weird the amount of cartoons I can think of where someone has gone inside someone elses body to do something.  The simpsons, futurama, rugrats, rick and morty, thats just off the top of my head.

Aren't they normally in some sort of spacesuit or something?

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

In one of the sharknado movies the guy gets swallowed by a shark and he cuts his way out with a chainsaw saving another girl who was previously eaten.
If you haven’t seen the sharknado movies you should. The acting is terrible and the movies are painfully awful but in a fantastic way.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(May 16, 2018 at 11:49 pm)Losty Wrote: In one of the sharknado movies the guy gets swallowed by a shark and he cuts his way out with a chainsaw saving another girl who was previously eaten.
If you haven’t seen the sharknado movies you should. The acting is terrible and the movies are painfully awful but in a fantastic way.

I'm a fan of SyFy, but I haven't ventured toward those films yet.
(May 16, 2018 at 11:56 pm)Kit Wrote:
(May 16, 2018 at 11:49 pm)Losty Wrote: In one of the sharknado movies the guy gets swallowed by a shark and he cuts his way out with a chainsaw saving another girl who was previously eaten.

I'm a fan of SyFy, but I haven't ventured toward those films yet.

They’re really bad but I love them
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(May 16, 2018 at 10:44 pm)ignoramus Wrote: At least the whale one is true !
The bible does not lie!

It does nothing but!
(May 16, 2018 at 9:27 am)Chad32 Wrote: I'm watching a Let's Play where the main character has to go inside a giant snake to get something, and it made me think about all the stories where you have to go inside some creature, and you're able to survive. That's pretty much the opposite of what's supposed to happen when something gets swallowed.

Where do stories like this come from? Why do people make stories of someone being swallowed, and not promptly suffocating or dissolving in digestive fluids?

It's usually a metaphor for hitting rock bottom, so you can eventually rise above it, the way I understand it. TVtropes calls this trope "Getting Eaten is Harmless." At least, That's the way it usually goes, with one notable exception:

Although that was largely for thematic reasons itself.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(May 16, 2018 at 11:58 pm)Losty Wrote:
(May 16, 2018 at 11:56 pm)Kit Wrote: I'm a fan of SyFy, but I haven't ventured toward those films yet.

They’re really bad but I love them

I watched about 15 minutes of the original one. I didn't get it. I thought they were supposed to be funny. Not funny at all. Just stupid.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you would punish religious people for being religious? Ahriman 222 17964 May 2, 2022 at 2:45 am
Last Post: Losty
  Scare people this Halloween by being Karen Foxaèr 5 585 October 20, 2020 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
Sad Giant spider - ICK arewethereyet 64 6394 May 28, 2019 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why is there people who bother people for no reason? Macoleco 6 981 October 2, 2018 at 6:51 am
Last Post: Cod
  How do you honestly feel about younger people complaining about being old? Foxaèr 30 4949 May 6, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Giant Fucking Spider Video Edwardo Piet 28 4104 November 27, 2015 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Giant Sunfish! MTL 10 1272 October 15, 2015 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Tired of just Surviving? bladevalant546 29 6469 September 16, 2014 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  People comment on my atheism. They comment on me being liberal. Now they can comment Handprint 30 8079 December 16, 2011 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen