Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College, degrees, and jobs, oh my!
College, degrees, and jobs, oh my!
I 'member my dad speaking of the same issue regarding when he was younger, how having a college degree did not guarantee finding a better job.

[Image: 33154398_1713973165349554_30245546030740...e=5B913AE1]
RE: College, degrees, and jobs, oh my!
Guarantee, no.

Help, you bet.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Clearly, it's not helping either.
(May 20, 2018 at 7:12 pm)Kit Wrote: Clearly, it's not helping either.

Um. That's just stupid.

You heard of some people that can't get jobs after getting college degrees. This absolutely happens. The reason? There are plenty of them, but chief among them are that people get BAs in Art History and English Literature and enter a saturated job market full of intellectuals that work until they die.

I got a BS in Computer Science last year and got three job offers before I even had the diploma in hand. No diploma? No job.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
^This. You need to get a degree for jobs that are in demand.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Registered Nurse here. I make decent money and am always in demand. Soon the nursing shortage will increase as the Baby Boomers become elderly and older nurses like me retire. 1.2 million  nursing U.S vacancies by 2022.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(May 20, 2018 at 7:29 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Registered Nurse here. I make decent money and am always in demand. Soon the nursing shortage will increase as the Baby Boomers become elderly and older nurses like me retire. 1.2 million  nursing vacancies by 2022.

I begin my nursing training at the end of the month.
Not necessary.

Helpful.

And also, there are careers that require a shit load of training that might as well be a college degree. RN is one of them. Let's not pretend that this isn't a thread that says "education is stupid."

Not "education is stupid".

More like "higher education is not as beneficial as educators make it out to be".
(May 20, 2018 at 7:30 pm)Kit Wrote:
(May 20, 2018 at 7:29 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Registered Nurse here. I make decent money and am always in demand. Soon the nursing shortage will increase as the Baby Boomers become elderly and older nurses like me retire. 1.2 million  nursing vacancies by 2022.

I begin my nursing training at the end of the month.
Great! There are so many areas you could go into. Also, in larger population centers there are so many vacancies you don't have to put up with your bosses shit. You just have to worry about your licensing agency and upholding their standards. Their standards are simply providing good care.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Six degrees of Bacon game Joods 14 1333 March 9, 2017 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  The most liberal and conservative jobs Catholic_Lady 39 9527 January 29, 2017 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Is being a virgin a turnoff for girls in college NuclearEnergy 46 6575 January 12, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why are college aged guys so horny NuclearEnergy 39 5304 January 9, 2017 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Differing degrees of rape? lifesagift 154 17690 October 22, 2014 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Thinking of College....In Germany Lemonvariable72 10 2717 October 11, 2014 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Depression and other disorders and Jobs bladevalant546 5 1661 March 28, 2014 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Motivation for college: education or salary? Tea Earl Grey Hot 43 8545 July 24, 2013 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Jobs I Wish Robots Would Take My imaginary friend is GOD 15 3110 July 11, 2013 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Help this girl win a college scholarship. Brian37 5 1820 November 14, 2012 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37