Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feeling a form of "religious discrimination" for the first time
Feeling a form of "religious discrimination" for the first time
My girlfriend and I met in Washington DC. I'm from NY and she's from SC. Im going down to visit her for the first time. Well apparently she has a friend who immediately asked whether I was Christian; when she said no (something that doesn't bother her) they told her it could never work and she could do better.

I found that pretty hurtful and disgustingly judgmental. How do people judge others based off their religious beliefs so easily and harshly? Before they even know them? And of course now I automatically dislike them, which may not be fair either.

Being from NY I never really felt too much pushback for being an atheist outside of my immediate family, so this was very shocking to me. Guess i need to get out more Tongue
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
RE: Feeling a form of "religious discrimination" for the first time
It's just a sample size of 1; she could have just as easy asked if you were a neo-Nazi and claimed the same "outcome".
What a cunt. She could do better in the friend department.
Get used to it bucko. 

While down there you might want to stay away from open bodies of water.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(May 22, 2018 at 9:35 am)Aegon Wrote: My girlfriend and I met in Washington DC. I'm from NY and she's from SC. Im going down to visit her for the first time. Well apparently she has a friend who immediately asked whether I was Christian; when she said no (something that doesn't bother her) they told her it could never work and she could do better.

I found that pretty hurtful and disgustingly judgmental. How do people judge others based off their religious beliefs so easily and harshly? Before they even know them? And of course now I automatically dislike them, which may not be fair either.

Being from NY I never really felt too much pushback for being an atheist outside of my immediate family, so this was very shocking to me. Guess i need to get out more Tongue

Or else get out to carefully chosen other places, at least in this country.

The thing about most bible obsessed xtians is just how unchristian so many of them really are.  When you point it out all you get is "yeah, we're all sinners but my ass is saved and yours is an abomination before God and all us righteous who judge you in His name".
(May 22, 2018 at 9:55 am)Shell B Wrote: What a cunt. She could do better in the friend department.

Meh, it could easily be blamed on indoctrination. Especially if this friend hasn't left the south her whole life.
One time my wife didn't get a job at as a Catholic school teacher, we thought it was because of her disability....until the nun in charge told my wife that she wasn't "Catholic enough". It's wrong. It happens.
<insert profound quote here>
(May 22, 2018 at 10:30 am)Aegon Wrote:
(May 22, 2018 at 9:55 am)Shell B Wrote: What a cunt. She could do better in the friend department.

Meh, it could easily be blamed on indoctrination. Especially if this friend hasn't left the south her whole life.

A cunt is still a cunt, whether it can be explained or not. Big Grin
(May 22, 2018 at 10:44 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: One time my wife didn't get a job at as a Catholic school teacher, we thought it was because of her disability....until the nun in charge told my wife that she wasn't "Catholic enough". It's wrong. It happens.

Haha when I was younger a fellow church goer accused our family of not being "true Catholics." So bizarre. You just reminded me of that.
(May 22, 2018 at 10:44 am)Neo-Scholastic Wrote: One time my wife didn't get a job at as a Catholic school teacher, we thought it was because of her disability....until the nun in charge told my wife that she wasn't "Catholic enough". It's wrong. It happens.

Usually, the exact opposite happens; it's the so-called "conservative Catholics" that are not getting hired.

(May 22, 2018 at 10:11 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Get used to it bucko. 

While down there you might want to stay away from open bodies of water.

Professor Bart Ehrman is from North Carolina. Not everyone living there is a dumb hick.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  angel story video form Drich 107 10272 April 23, 2020 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Drich
  Discrimination, oppression, and the War on Christianity Losty 124 11529 July 27, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Attended church for the first time in years Aegon 23 1785 August 8, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 27859 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What time is it?? What if Time!!! Drich 94 10829 March 11, 2016 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Chick tracts - pdf form - downloadable drfuzzy 13 10597 February 7, 2016 at 2:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  God's feeling of failure. Brakeman 44 6942 May 29, 2014 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  discrimination against atheist in christian schools (personal experience) Science it works 15 6045 August 17, 2013 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Did Bethlehem in Judea exist at the time of Jesus and at the time of David Ziploc Surprise 0 2048 January 1, 2013 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Employment Tribunal throws out religious discrimination claim bozo 5 2100 August 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger