Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Intolerances
Food Intolerances
How many of us here have, or suspect we have some form of intolerance to various types of food?

With me it's gluten, which is a shame because bread has to be my favourite type of food of all time Sad

It also depends upon what sort of gluten I ingest. If I have highly processed white bread or pasta I get more symptoms than if I have unrefined granary bread etc.

My main symptoms are..
  • A fat bloated feeling
  • Lethargy
  • Phlegm
  • Itchy skin
  • Bags under the eyes
  • Irritability
  • Short term memory problems

Hmmm, looking at the lot perhaps it might be a good idea if I just bit the bullet and went gluten free, at least for a while :S
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Food Intolerances
(December 5, 2010 at 8:34 am)Darwinian Wrote: How many of us here have, or suspect we have some form of intolerance to various types of food?

With me it's gluten, which is a shame because bread has to be my favourite type of food of all time Sad

It also depends upon what sort of gluten I ingest. If I have highly processed white bread or pasta I get more symptoms than if I have unrefined granary bread etc.

My main symptoms are..
  • A fat bloated feeling
  • Lethargy
  • Phlegm
  • Itchy skin
  • Bags under the eyes
  • Irritability
  • Short term memory problems

Hmmm, looking at the lot perhaps it might be a good idea if I just bit the bullet and went gluten free, at least for a while :S

If this is not an offical diagnosis I would get it checked out by a doctor to rule out anything worse.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

No, these are all classic gluten intolerance symptoms and given the fact that if I give it up they all go away and my family history I'm pretty secure in my self-diagnosis Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
A lot of people confuse wheat allergies with gluten allergies and, of course, with celiac disease. If you think you're reacting to gluten I would also urge a doctors visit to rule out both wheat allergy and celiac disease.

While I appreciate that there are people who do have celiac disease and gluten intolerance and allergies I think that a lot of this is being pushed in order to sell gluten free products which are costly. I couldn't believe the emphasis on gluten-free in Austin where I recently relocated to from the Seattle Area. Here it's really overblown and it's overblown for one reason only, profit. The other downside to this type of marketing is that there are people who are legitimately affected by gluten and it questions their credibility.

The world is a dangerous place to live - not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
- Albert Einstein
Yikes my genetics are a mess, where to begin?

I inherited from my mother's side the absence of lactase enzymes, I used to love diary products when I was younger, cheese, yogurts, pizza you name it, but in the last ten years started developing bizarre physical and mental problems after consumption. As an experiment I took all diary produce out of my diet for a week and immediately I felt much better, I soon realised I was lactose intolerant. I survive now on Soya, Oat and rice based drinks and such, nowadays I can't even stand the taste of cow's or goat's milk at all.

My father had a variety of allergies and other disorders that were generously passed on, not sure if they're dominant or recessive or not but it effects my sisters and I differently. My younger sister has a complete intolerance to nuts of all kinds, especially walnuts. I have no such problems, however I recall when I was five I had a Nestlé Yorkie chocolate bar, soon after my throat started to seize up, I could hardly swallow or breath properly and coughed for what seemed hours after. Being a chocolate fan I tried them again the next month and the same symptoms emerged. I've learned to avoid them since.

Over the years I've developed other strange intolerances, for instance, I can no longer eat sardines, tomatoes, uncooked mushrooms, bread or wheat without having indigestion and/or feeling very sick. Drinking Nescafe coffee has a similar nausea inducing effect. I've tried anti-acids but they're largely ineffective. I also painfully discovered last year that despite my love of hot spicy foods such as curries, chilli peppers really don't agree with my system. I had some in my pasta on a night out and I rolled about afterwards in agony after several hours eating them, the pain at the time was indescribable, my friends nearly rushed me to hospital, until thankfully someone suggested I try taking small amounts of cow's milk and olive oil to cancel it out. It strangely worked, considering I'm lactose intolerant! Though my stomach was incredibly sore into the night.

I've spoken to my GP about it but she dismissed it all under the "not my problem" category, the condensing apathetic bitch that she is.
I'm lucky enough to not suffer from any sort of food intolerances or allergies. The only determining factor for me is taste. I either like something or I don't. My wife is very lactose intolerant, though. The poor thing can't even enjoy nice bowl of real ice cream and has to put 'Silk' (brand of soy milk) on her morning cereal.

I feel bad for those with food allergies and intolerances, since it removes what could be an enjoyable option from the menu. I have a couple of friends that are allergic to peanut butter and one that can't eat chocolate. I know another that can't eat shrimp! I think of them whenever I eat that stuff.
I was lactose intolerant right up until about 12-13 and strangely managed to get over it. The only thing I've noticed lately is that cheap milk chocolate candy makes me feel a little sick, but that's easily avoidable. I'm like Paul...either I like it or I don't. I eat pretty much everything except mushrooms, asparagus, shrimp, and things with tentacles. I even love gefilte fish. My favorite is watermelon. Smile
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I'm like Paul. Big Grin
Before i was say 12, i use to suffer nausia when eating eggs cooked a certain way, like in omlets. Doctor indicated allergy, but was unable to identify the alergen. It when away by itself. Now I tend to suffer from some discomfort, like a feeling of gloating and slight shortness of breath, if I eat a piece of steak, even in modest portions like 6 ounces. But I seem to have no such problems with all other meats like pork, chicken, turkey, or even diced or chopped steak. Doctor filed it away under "curious and best ignored" folder.

Anyone suffer from anything similar?

I'm also lucky to not suffer from any food allergies. However, I am a vegetarian.
Don’t ask.

Atheist
I Evolved!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A PhD with food stamps? Jehanne 6 861 April 18, 2022 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Cultural Appropriation and Food Goosebump 15 1214 June 6, 2021 at 11:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Silly food. Gawdzilla Sama 19 1062 December 22, 2020 at 9:01 am
Last Post: brewer
  "Institution" and food shows. Brian37 17 1094 February 17, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why I hate food critics.... Brian37 23 2883 January 21, 2020 at 10:14 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Song Thread About Food/Drink BrianSoddingBoru4 16 1396 May 23, 2019 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Ran into another Food Nazi just now. Brian37 31 2850 July 31, 2018 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Emergency food help. What do you put on a BLT? Gawdzilla Sama 36 2154 July 21, 2018 at 11:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Heart Tell us your ethnicity with food pics *Deidre* 138 21004 May 19, 2018 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  how pyschological is our pickiness to food. Mystic 28 5007 April 18, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet