Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mencken
Mencken
A great quote:

"One seldom discovers a true believer that is worth knowing"

RE: Mencken
Haha, he was such a shit stirrer. Big fan.
Ayeh.

[Image: LslbFpX.gif]
There used to be a great site of Mencken quotes by John Webb but it seems to have disappeared.
https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/..._L_Mencken
This Mencken quote is eerily prophetic:

'As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.'

Boru 
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Along the same line.

Quote: The truth is . . . that the great artists of the world are never puritans, and seldom ever ordinarily respectable. No virtuous man - that is, virtuous in the YMCA sense - has ever painted a picture worth looking at, or written a symphony worth hearing, or a book worth reading, and it is highly improbable that the thing has ever been done by a virtuous woman.

H. L. Mencken