Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ironic deconversion
ironic deconversion
I was raised by a Christian mother in a Nazarene church, which we attended weekly throughout my childhood. There, I absorbed all the typical messages about Christianity that one would expect of 18 years of indoctrination. When I went to college, my epiphany was swift and within a semester, I had renounced all my childhood religious beliefs, as absolutely none of it made any rational sense to me at all. What follows are ten years of relative peace on that front, until I married and had my first child. Suddenly, I became deeply compelled to get back in church. I felt that taking one's children to church was what good moms did, and I was trying like Hell to be the good mom I wanted to be rather than the flaky mess I suspected I truly was. My husband had toyed with Buddhist philosophies prior to our marriage, but was really no more religious than I, but when I decided we had to start going to church, he dutifully came along for the ride. What followed is over a decade of a religious search that ended up being far more flaky than if I had just never went back at all. Because I really didn't believe in God, Heaven, Hell, Christ, or miracles, I would have a brief honeymoon period in a church, then become disgruntled and leave abruptly. After dabbling in the Church of Christ, Evangelical Lutheran, Episcopal, and Missouri Synod Lutheran, I strangely woke up one day and decided I was Catholic. I signed up for RCIA classes at our local parish church and began the process of conversion to Catholicism. This is a process that begins in the Fall with weekly classes and culminates in confirmation at the Easter Vigil in Spring, so it requires a significant commitment. The irony here is that my husband didn't join me in the classes until the very end (thinking it was another fad of mine) but then at the last minute, he jumped in, too, and our whole family became Catholic at Easter Vigil 2006. Since then, my non-religious husband has become very devout and even joined the Knights of Columbus and attends Mass every week. About six months ago, I decided to stop living a lie and I confessed to our children (now ages 12 and 14) that I am truly non-religious, but I respect their right to believe in whatever way they wish (my 14 year old is a non-believer and my 12 year old believes). I attend Mass with my husband and our children weekly, but I do not kneel, say the prayers, or receive the Eucharist any longer. The Catholic Mass can be a beautiful thing if you appreciate ceremony and ritual, which I do, and sometimes I miss it. However, nothing compares to the peace of knowing that I am no longer living a lie and that a good mother can be many things. The irony of me dragging my husband along into a conversion to Catholicism and then four years later coming out of the closet as an atheist is a constant reminder to me that life truly is what happens while we're making other plans.
RE: ironic deconversion
Interesting story.

As a 'retired' catholic I can understand how people who are raised in it may never question it. I cannot see how anyone could ever willingly accept their bullshit after having attained the age of 10 or 11.
Interesting story, indeed. Does your husband honestly believe or is he just taken with the community and feeling of belonging that the church provides? Perhaps the local Moose Lodge have been just as good for him.
(December 8, 2010 at 7:03 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Interesting story.

As a 'retired' catholic I can understand how people who are raised in it may never question it. I cannot see how anyone could ever willingly accept their bullshit after having attained the age of 10 or 11.

Minimalist, for me, the conversion to Catholicism was an emotional reaction. I was soothed and comforted by the order and ceremony of the Mass. I had just moved 3,000 miles away from my home and family, was feeling very uprooted and overwhelmed and was vulnerable to something that offered emotional solace. Plus, the whole idea of the priest being "Father" when I was missing my own parents so much can't be a coincidence in my choice of this faith, either. As humans, we are both rational and emotional and do not always do things that make sense. This conversion being one of those things. However, I have always been a cynical, skeptical kind of gal, and the initial emotional draw just wasn't enough in the long run. At the age of 41, I decided I was no longer going to drink the Kool Aid and I haven't looked back.
(December 8, 2010 at 7:30 pm)Paul the Human Wrote: Interesting story, indeed. Does your husband honestly believe or is he just taken with the community and feeling of belonging that the church provides? Perhaps the local Moose Lodge have been just as good for him.

Paul, he says he believes, although everyone who knows him well is astounded by that fact, as am I. In most respects, he is a very critical thinker and quite brilliant, but there something about Christian faith right now that just gives him what he needs. I am rather bemused by it all and am just sitting back watching how all this will play out in our family in years to come. Atheist mom and daughter and devout Catholic dad and son--sounds like a bad reality show.....
Ah. So you liked the "production" rather than the "script?" I see. You're right. The glitz gets old after a while. Especially when you find out that the 'producer' is sodomizing the altar boys.
Great story! I was kind of the same i was raised catholic and actually didnt start question umtil i knew what death was.. and then just how philosophy got me sucked into and the boom!Big Grin atheist is born and is damn happy with it! I also have a girlfriend who is a strong believer...she is in a non denominational church...i know scary!!!!Sad But shes a great gal and i love her sooo. We have had our fights and talks about my faith and she cant get why i dont believe and i dont why she does? But i guess i will just have to try harder!
"Religious faith is the species of human ignorance that will not admit even the possibillity of correction."-Sam Harris
For Man to move forward we must throw away religion, and put it in the Mythology section, and then use Reason, Logic, and Common sense to solve all our daily problems. That's a Higher Level of Thinking.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deconversion of a Preacher's Son Old Baby 2 1373 February 22, 2016 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Old Baby
  My strange deconversion Excited Penguin 20 4476 July 8, 2015 at 7:36 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  My Deconversion Story PhilliptheTeenageAtheist 26 5388 June 2, 2015 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  My Deconversion Story warlocksarebest 15 4543 November 20, 2014 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: Logical Adolecent
  A Southern Baptist's Deconversion Revisited L.A.F.2. 1 1699 October 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: Lucanus
  My Deconversion ComradeMeow 2 1714 August 21, 2014 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ComradeMeow
  The deconversion of the preacher's kid christianatheist 11 3972 August 20, 2014 at 1:38 am
Last Post: JimmyM35
  not a recent deconversion xpastor 13 4740 September 30, 2013 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Deconversion gilbertc06 0 1161 September 22, 2013 at 2:57 am
Last Post: gilbertc06
  Push me over the edge ! (Deconversion!) Mzungu 16 7974 June 30, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Last Post: MikeTheInfidel