Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, This Sucks For Online Buyers
Well, This Sucks For Online Buyers
Quote:Supreme Court rules states can require online sellers to collect sales tax

I wonder how this will affect ebay and etsy purchases, especially if you're buying from a private seller who sells through those sites.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/393441...s-tax-case
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
RE: Well, This Sucks For Online Buyers
Each state will have laws regarding who is required to collect taxes. "Yard sales" or "boot sales" don't require it in most places. (Haven't heard of one that does.) The tax codes is some states will be tweaked, probably in wildly inappropriate ways. Eventually they'll get something that is less annoying.
(June 21, 2018 at 1:46 pm)A Theist Wrote:
Quote:Supreme Court rules states can require online sellers to collect sales tax

I wonder how this will affect ebay and etsy purchases, especially if you're buying from a private seller who sells through those sites.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/393441...s-tax-case

I think that for sales over a certain amount (say buying a car off someone) that you are suppose to turn in sales tax; although nobody does.

Recently PA majorly increased the tax on vaping supply (like 40-45%)  They made sure that the online market had to charge the tax.  I don't see the current tax and spend governer being re-elected this fall.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
(June 21, 2018 at 1:57 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I think that for sales over a certain amount (say buying a car off someone) that you are suppose to turn in sales tax; although nobody does.

They certainly do here for cars - they collect it when you register your car, approximately 9% of how they value your car sight unseen. They call it a "use tax" but to no one's surprise it's the same rate as the state sales tax.
It's about time.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Won't even slow down the growth of online sales.  The habit is too deeply ingrained now.
(June 21, 2018 at 2:21 pm)Cathooloo Wrote:
(June 21, 2018 at 1:57 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I think that for sales over a certain amount (say buying a car off someone) that you are suppose to turn in sales tax; although nobody does.

They certainly do here for cars - they collect it when you register your car, approximately 9% of how they value your car sight unseen.  They call it a "use tax" but to no one's surprise it's the same rate as the state sales tax.

All same-same in the State of Misery.
(June 21, 2018 at 2:43 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: It's about time.

Now they just need to tax churches.
(June 21, 2018 at 6:50 pm)Kit Wrote:
(June 21, 2018 at 2:43 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: It's about time.

Now they just need to tax churches.

And the rich.
It makes perfect sense for states to collect sales tax from online purchases.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Well, that didn't last long...MyPillow guy fail. arewethereyet 4 722 November 13, 2022 at 1:04 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Well that was some fast back-tracking by Facebook robvalue 9 1238 July 12, 2019 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Well, It Hardly Qualifies As A 'Replica', Then BrianSoddingBoru4 13 931 May 25, 2019 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Poland Sucks BrianSoddingBoru4 19 1984 May 12, 2019 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  One of Obamacare’s big experiments to lower costs is working surprisingly well Aegon 9 791 September 5, 2018 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Sucks To Be The WLB Minimalist 20 1519 August 1, 2018 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Sometimes Even Drunk Driving Works Out Well! Minimalist 5 927 June 6, 2018 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The WLB and his Cronies Don't Handle Email So Well Either! Minimalist 0 381 October 13, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Next Fucking For The Drumpfucks Is Well Underway Minimalist 0 584 June 27, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Remember When Trumptards Were Praising Trumps Handling Carrier Well.... Amarok 11 3989 June 27, 2017 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37