Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for evolustionists
A question for evolustionists
So I made a thread on morality, and a reply concerning evolution really got me thinking...If evolution got us humans where we are today, why didn't all animals keep evolving until they're humans? Also, why are humans the last stop on the evolutionary train? Why haven't humans evolved into 10 armed 3 headed super-humans? I just think that with so much body-enhancing things around today, that nature would have thought of it first, instead of its product (humans). Again, no twisting of answers or preaching is gonna come from me, promise Smile
RE: A question for evolustionists
1. There's no such thing as an "evolutionist" any more than there is a "gravityist".

2. Evolution is simply the observation that life changes over time to adapt to its environment. That's it. There is no assertion that all animals will always evolve into humans. There is no assertion that humans are the end point. There is, contrary to the X-men movies, no evolutionary move toward mutant powers. There's no "more evolved" or "less evolved". It's just life changes to suit the environment, period.

Hope that helps.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Read Dawkins' "The Greatest Show on Earth" and then get back to us after you have some idea WTF the Theory of Evolution is all about.

Given that question and your level of understanding it would be roughly akin to trying to explain radar to a dog.
(December 9, 2010 at 1:10 pm)16three-john Wrote: So I made a thread on morality, and a reply concerning evolution really got me thinking...If evolution got us humans where we are today, why didn't all animals keep evolving until they're humans?

Animals didn't evolve until they're humans because that isn't how it works, evolution brings about changes through mutation and natural selection, natural selection chooses the most beneficial traits for survival. Not every animal needs to be human like, nor can they fill the same niche as us, it would bring about competition until one species moves to another niche or becomes extinct.

Quote:Also, why are humans the last stop on the evolutionary train?

We're not the last stop on the evolutionary train either, there isn't one line of evolution, it is a branching tree. We're not the most evolved animal, just because we have intelligence it does not make us superior. Evolution has no hierarchy.

Quote:Why haven't humans evolved into 10 armed 3 headed super-humans? I just think that with so much body-enhancing things around today, that nature would have thought of it first, instead of its product (humans).

Do we need 10 arms and 3 heads? No. Nature doesn't think either.
"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
(December 9, 2010 at 1:10 pm)16three-john Wrote: So I made a thread on morality, and a reply concerning evolution really got me thinking...If evolution got us humans where we are today, why didn't all animals keep evolving until they're humans? Also, why are humans the last stop on the evolutionary train? Why haven't humans evolved into 10 armed 3 headed super-humans? I just think that with so much body-enhancing things around today, that nature would have thought of it first, instead of its product (humans). Again, no twisting of answers or preaching is gonna come from me, promise Smile

We have. Some humans have indeed evolved into rational thinking, empirical truth seeking, superstition despising, superhumans. But clearly many others like you are destined never to evolve to that stage.

Wow, didn't know this question would be met with such hate and indecency. Thanks
Quote:If evolution got us humans where we are today, why didn't all animals keep evolving until they're humans?

When you write something like that there is just no fucking point. You have to lose all the creationist bullshit that you have obviously learned and get to someplace where there is a common frame of reference.

You might start here.

http://pactiss.org:8080/ct/resources/15%...nload/file

It's a .pdf file. You need Adobe Acrobat.
(December 9, 2010 at 1:45 pm)16three-john Wrote: Wow, didn't know this question would be met with such hate and indecency. Thanks

It did get a little nasty didnt it.

Unfortunately that was partly down to the question, which demonstrated a basic missunderstanding about evolution.
A previous poster suggested you learn more about what evolution actually is rather than what you think it is.
I think this would be wise because, as you have encountered, questions that are fundamentally flawed get pounced on and I would not like to patronise you by spoon feeding you evolution 101.

Wikipedia would be a good place to start and more accesable than the books previously suggested.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yeah I guess I'll just google it sometime, I thought it'd be easier to just get some input from regular people without having to read alot because I don't exactly have much free time nowadays. Thanks downbeatplumb.

Just as a side note, to minimalist and chuck, if you want people to listen to what you have to say, try not treating them like shit. When I'm talking to someone who has misconceptions about christianity or God, shooting them down and making fun of them helps nothing. It just makes you and your opinions void to that person. I assume that the same goes for you.
(December 9, 2010 at 1:45 pm)16three-john Wrote: Wow, didn't know this question would be met with such hate and indecency. Thanks

As DBP alluded to, it provokes ire in some when we hear the misinformation that's circulated about evolution parroted back to us. Some will say, "oh, not this again. For the 128,395th time now..." Don't take it personally, it's just exhaustion with the same go-round.

Again, evolution 101: life changes over time to suit its environment. Period. Full stop.

In the case of morality, we are community animals. We depend on each other to survive. Therefore, we form communities and concepts of "right and wrong" with our behavior toward each other so society can function. A society that allows rape, murder, theft, etc. would fall apart and therefore not be conducive to survival. To survive and adapt, we formed our conscience, sense of community and sense of fair play.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist