Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer programming, landscaping, education, origami
Computer programming, landscaping, education, origami
I’ve worked in a variety of occupations, but mostly in computer programming and landscaping. I’m retired, but I help my wife prepare the lessons for the university English classes she’s teaching where we’re currently living, in China. Sometimes I do origami with children. Most of our lives we have also done some kind of mentoring together. We also play WoW, Guild Wars II, and Animal Crossing; and we hang out in Malls and at Starbucks.

Some of favorite reading has been science fiction, Dr Seuss, L. Frank Baum, Tolkien, math, detective mysteries, and Lovecraft.

At the heart and center of my life is continually working to improve my character, my conduct, and the way I live my life, to help make the world better for all people everywhere. I use some religious scriptures to help me do that, and my ways of thinking are partly what I’ve learned from those. Some other influences have been Ayn Rand, Alfred Korzybski, Soren Kierkegaard, NLP, Dinkmeyer and Losoncy, Gerard Egan, Carl Rogers, Dorothy of Oz, math, physics, electronics, map projections, my wife, my children, and of course my parents. That’s just a sampling; there have been many others.

I’ve had training and experience in Christianity and in the Baha’i Faith, and for a few months I explored a pagan path. On the Internet I’ve spent a lot of time with atheists, Christians and Baha’is; with gay and anti-gay activists; and in Gamergate, Elevatorgate, and a Red Pill YouTube circle. That’s just a sampling also.

There’s a god at the center of my life and the way I think, but how I think about Him is continually evolving. I’m discussing my current way of thinking in another thread.
- Jim
RE: Computer programming, landscaping, education, origami
Jim, If you abandoned Christianity and the Baha’i Faith would your life be any the worse?

And welcome to the forums.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
Where in China?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 4, 2018 at 5:18 pm)Succubus Wrote: Jim, If you abandoned Christianity and the Baha’i Faith would your life be any the worse?

Thank you for the welcome. Is that a serious question? If so, ask me somewhere outside of the Introductions forum. Like maybe in the thread I started about what the world needs..
- Jim
(July 4, 2018 at 9:20 pm)jimhabegger Wrote:
(July 4, 2018 at 5:18 pm)Succubus Wrote: Jim, If you abandoned Christianity and the Baha’i Faith would your life be any the worse?

Thank you for the welcome. Is that a serious question? If so, ask me somewhere outside of the Introductions forum. Like maybe in my thread about meanings of "God" in scriptures.

The name of 'this' thread is Computer programming, landscaping, education, origami.

I don't tend to read a lot of rambling musings about god, upper or lower case, with or without scare quotes, and in the past I've had a few spankings from the forum moderators regarding my attitude towards "new" members.

So I will choose my words carefully.

What the fuck are you talking about?
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(July 4, 2018 at 9:20 pm)jimhabegger Wrote:

Thank you for the welcome. Is that a serious question? If so, ask me somewhere outside of the Introductions forum. Like maybe in the thread I started about what the world needs..

(July 4, 2018 at 10:12 pm)Succubus Wrote:
(July 4, 2018 at 9:20 pm)jimhabegger Wrote: Thank you for the welcome. Is that a serious question? If so, ask me somewhere outside of the Introductions forum. Like maybe in my thread about meanings of "God" in scriptures.

The name of 'this' thread is Computer programming, landscaping, education, origami.

I don't tend to read a lot of rambling musings about god, upper or lower case, with or without scare quotes, and in the past I've had a few spankings from the forum moderators regarding my attitude towards "new" members.

So I will choose my words carefully.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Sorry. Originally I suggested the thread about meanings of "God," then later I changed that to the one about what the world needs. If you want to ask me about my religion, I might answer in the "Atheism" forum or the "Other Religions" forum, or any other forum if it looks on topic to me. Not here.
- Jim
Don't pay to much attention to Succubus. I think he as a misplaced stick.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Moderator Notice
Please remember that this is the introductions forum.

“Whilst we are generally lenient with insulting language / rudeness in other forums, this kind of behaviour is explicitly disallowed in the Introductions forum. Please welcome new members to the community in a nice manner, or refrain from welcoming them at all.”

Thank you
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
I see you're a man of culture as well.
Welcome welcome!

Why did you put Ayn Rand as your first influence?