Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slim Chance, But Intriguing Nonetheless
Slim Chance, But Intriguing Nonetheless
I'm not about to get my knickers in a twist over this, but - if it pans out - it'll be the biggest thing since Heinrich Schliemann figured out where to dig:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...43791.html

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Slim Chance, But Intriguing Nonetheless
Yeah - they thought the Amphipolis Tomb in Greece was his, too.  

The Egyptians need all the help they can get with their tourism industry.
And so it goes.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-44893804

Quote:Egypt sarcophagus: Mystery black tomb opened in Alexandria

Quote:Instead, it revealed three skeletons and red-brown sewage water, which gave off an unbearable stench.
Egypt's Ministry of Antiquities had appointed a committee of archaeologists to open the relic, which was unearthed at a construction site.
According to Egyptian news outlet El-Watan, they initially lifted the lid of the tomb by just 5cm (2 inches) before the pungent odour forced them from the inspection scene entirely. They later prised it open with help from Egyptian military engineers.
"We found the bones of three people, in what looks like a family burial... Unfortunately the mummies inside were not in the best condition and only the bones remain," said Mostafa Waziri, secretary-general of the Supreme Council of Antiquities.

So Alex remains lost.
(July 13, 2018 at 7:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Yeah - they thought the Amphipolis Tomb in Greece was his, too.  

The problem - apparently - is that no one seems to have the first fucking clue where the man is buried.
Alexandria has been hammered by earthquakes and tsunamis as a result of quakes elsewhere.  What was probably the original harbor and palace was destroyed and archaeologists are picking up pieces off the harbor bottom.  Were I going to build a fancy tomb to a demi-god I would have put it near the palace so it was probably destroyed.
(July 19, 2018 at 11:09 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Alexandria has been hammered by earthquakes and tsunamis as a result of quakes elsewhere.  What was probably the original harbor and palace was destroyed and archaeologists are picking up pieces off the harbor bottom.  Were I going to build a fancy tomb to a demi-god I would have put it near the palace so it was probably destroyed.

This.

If Alexander’s tomb was in Alexandria, as seems likely after Ptolemy hijacked the body (if the accounts are accurate), then the body, if not the tomb, will have been destroyed or thoroughly looted long ago.
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 19, 2018 at 7:20 pm)Cathooloo Wrote:
(July 13, 2018 at 7:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Yeah - they thought the Amphipolis Tomb in Greece was his, too.  

The problem - apparently - is that no one seems to have the first fucking clue where the man is buried.

Well, it isn't in my shed, I can promise you that.  Seriously, it isn't so there's no need to get the cops involved.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson