Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nazareth
Nazareth
"Can -anything- good come from Nazareth?"

I have noted that some skeptics call into question the existence of a town called Nazareth during the time of Jesus.

I was wondering what the consensus was on here? Any insights? Theories?
RE: Nazareth
These are questions for Min.

*waits*
Josephus campaigned extensively in the area, mentioned scads of miniscule villages and yet never managed to run across any place named "Nazareth."

The earliest record of it in archaeology is a 4th century inscription which mentions the place as a settlement for priestly classes. 

Fucking Paul never heard of it and Origen - living about 40 miles away in Caesarea Maritima - never bothered to go there.

It does not appear in any Jewish literature prior to the 3d century.  Eusebius claims that Sextus Julius Africanus mentioned it in the early 3d century but Africanus' work is no longer extant and Eusebius had lots of trouble with the truth.

Christian scholar, Stephen Pfann excavated at Nazareth under the auspices of the IAA and found a single, family-farm, from the Roman period.

Get the hint?
Best thing to come out of Nazareth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz6eMCj2k

As for the town, it very certainly  existed in the 1st century.  Not sure what the existence of Nazareth has to do with the veracity of the Bible, though.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(July 14, 2018 at 8:29 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Best thing to come out of Nazareth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz6eMCj2k

As for the town, it very certainly  existed in the 1st century.  Not sure what the existence of Nazareth has to do with the veracity of the Bible, though.

Boru

Needed more cow bell.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Who gives a shit? There is now a place called Toledo.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

It's just an interesting argument.  Gets into the differences between Jewish and Roman naming conventions and actual geography.

The Jews used a patronymic naming system such as Jesus, son of Joseph or Schlomo, son of Fuckstruck.  The Greeks used the home town of an individual, like "Demetrius of Cos" or "Pete of Chicago."  Hence when Greeks saw Iēsous ho Nazōraios they rendered it as Jesus of Nazareth instead of Jesus the Nazorean.  That of course demanded that some place named Nazareth eventually be found.... or built!
OP: I really don't care.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 14, 2018 at 7:51 pm)JairCrawford Wrote: "Can -anything- good come from Nazareth?"

I wonder if that is where the Nazgul came from.  They were really badass.  (Not in the good way.)

Personally I don't know if or how much of the bible is historically correct.  But I don't think anything rides on it being wrong as far as I'm concerned.  No gods for me regardless.  But I have no problem if you believe in yours.  To each his own.
(July 14, 2018 at 7:51 pm)JairCrawford Wrote: "Can -anything- good come from Nazareth?"

I have noted that some skeptics call into question the existence of a town called Nazareth during the time of Jesus.

I was wondering what the consensus was on here? Any insights? Theories?

My bold;
Now we're finally getting there. What in any sort of fuck does it matter if Nazareth existed or not?
Did a bloke called Jesus exist or not?
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was Jesus of Nazareth a religious loon? Jehanne 56 5876 April 16, 2020 at 11:30 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger