Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your weirdness rating?
What is your weirdness rating?
Guys, I don't know if it's purely out of habit, or part of growing old and set in your ways or even becoming a little OCD...

Today I set the table for dinner, and it felt weird when I accidentally placed the knife facing away from the table! So I promptly sorted that out quick smart!
Leaving it like it was, was just wrong at some deep level. Wacky

Now I've never been OCD. Not in the slightest.
The only other thing that pisses me off is the toilet paper NOT folding over the front!

The other business partner does that. I know he's a sociopath and it shows when he does uncaring things like this! I'm sure he's plain evil!

So I still rate myself very low on the weird scale except for these 2 little issues ...
So .....how batweird are you guys...

(crazy cat ladies need not apply) ... It's all self explanatory.

Shy
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: What is your weirdness rating?
I'm not at all weird. It's just that the bulk of humanity is boring.
I was just musing about such things this morning. I had been dreaming, and I dreamed that I was part of this program where we'd go to the top floor of a building, they'd place a piece of paper with a target on it on the floor, we'd climb up on the table, aim for the target, and dive head first into the floor, killing ourselves in the process. Somehow, as a result of doing so, we'd wind up at the ground level, where we'd be met by an assessor who would rate our performance, and then we'd go back to the top of the building to do it all over again.

How that relates to the thread is that killing oneself, and coming back to life, and doing it all over again -- nothing about that seemed weird or illogical in the dream. It all just made perfect sense. And it reminded me how we depend upon cues from our brain to determine if things are as they should be, or if there's something weird and off about a situation that needs our attention. I don't know if this is a feeling we get when things are weird, or the absence of a feeling that things are as they should be, but one way or another, we depend upon that feedback in order to attend to things when they need attending to, and to keep on doing what we're doing when they don't signal us that something is wrong.

So we don't really reason out whether something is right or not, as in dreams, we're fully capable of reasoning, but that emotional cue is simply absent. It's that emotional cue, rather than any specific conclusion of reason, or lack thereof, which has us framing things as either "making sense" or "not making sense". And it strikes me that, perhaps there are times when we are awake, and things aren't making sense, but for whatever reason, our brains aren't generating that signal that something is wrong, so we keep on doing what we're doing even though there's something horribly wrong. What if it's like that a lot? Or all the time? How would we know? We'd just haphazardly pay attention some times, and not other times. I guess we have a sort of faith, or confidence, that this is not the case, because we reason that, if it were happening like that, we'd be incredibly dysfunctional. That's something you'd think we'd notice. Unless of course our brain didn't give us the signal that we were dysfunctional, and so....

So, I don't believe our brains fail to alert us to something being wrong a lot of the time. That would seem absurd. Yet at the same time, we all have the experience of arguing with stupid people who make a counter-argument which just doesn't feed the bulldog. What they're saying just isn't right and doesn't answer your prior objections. We assume that the same bells that are going off in our head must be going off in their head as well. They can't be this oblivious to how wrong-headed their argument is, can they? They must be lying! And yet they're not. Their brain just didn't give them the signal that something was wrong with what they were saying or arguing, so they just went ahead with what they were saying without realizing anything was wrong with it.

So ultimately, our brains must succeed in alerting us to illogic or weirdness some of the time, but not all of the time. And it would seem to be that the brain gives the signal at the correct time more often the more intelligent you are. So stupid people aren't necessarily any less rational than smart people, it's just their brains aren't sending them the right emotional cues as often as those who are somewhat better equipped.

So, I'd say thank God for that weirdness and our "feelings" that something is wrong. Otherwise we'd really be fucked up.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I have lots of little quirks that should be endearing. I'm told that they are not, repeatedly.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Depends how much sleep/stress I've been getting.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

8.5/12
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
As someone who has lived with OCD since I can remember I would say I'm pretty high up there. I've dug something out of the trash to stab it before, I've tore apart the kitchen looking for one particular orange bowl so I could eat my noodles, I've been late to class because someone pushed me when I was touching poles as I walked and I had to go back and do it all over again, and I get anxiety attacks being in certain parts of my mom's house because her live in boyfriend is a hoarder and I can't handle the chaos.
“What screws us up the most in life is the picture in our head of what it's supposed to be.”

Also if your signature makes my scrolling mess up "you're tacky and I hate you."
(July 18, 2018 at 2:17 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: 8.5/12

I just realized I screwed up.  

I'm going to change my wierdness rating to 7.791666666666667 / 11

Most scales only go to 10,   But this one goes to eleven
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Boss Lady says I'm "Chips/Mangos." I don't speak Boss Lady.
(July 18, 2018 at 1:34 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I have lots of little quirks that should be endearing. I'm told that they are not, repeatedly.

I get that in reaction to my humor which my wife notes is fine but not funny.  *sigh*

But I'm not changing anything.  Surely weird will become the new normal any day now.  I'm standing pat.