Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extermination of Canaanites
Extermination of Canaanites
"The extermination of the Canaanites was a blessing to the world. "

I have just read this on some site. I don't want to break 30/30 rule (or whatever it's called), so no link for whoever might be interested.
----
Well, I want to pose a question, why the purported command of Gawd was to exterminate and not to convert?
RE: Extermination of Canaanites
There was no extermination jews=Canaanites. The jewish tribes were a small, weak and insignificant part of the larger Canaanite cultural grouping (which included many semitic and arabic tribes). So in order to make themselves look bigger and more impressive their leaders invented a mythology where the jews were ubermenschen who came to dominate the untermenschen others around them through their greatness and their god (who started off as a very minor Canaanite war god).
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
It's strange, the things that believers consider blessings.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Canaanites look, talk and smell funny . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Archaeology now knows that the so-called "Israelites" arose from the Canaanite population, spoke the same language and worshiped the same pantheon of pagan gods.  It also now knows that the bible is a pile of shit.
Not that you are maligning shit . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(July 20, 2018 at 8:35 am)Wololo Wrote: their god (who started off as a very minor Canaanite war god).

I will contest this part of what you said as we do have evidence of YHWH being mentioned earlier in an Egyptian stele referring to the Shasu nomads. Thus it is possible YHWH has nomadic origins outside of Kena'an. What does seem evident though is this YHWH's later adoption into the Kena'any pantheon and then recognition as being one and the same as El, the chief creator deity of Kena'an (or who was recognized as such at least during the Ugaritic period).

Also, whether this YHWH started out as a war god is debatable. There are theories just as valid that support a weather deity, moon deity, or desert deity hypothesis.
(July 20, 2018 at 4:47 pm)JairCrawford Wrote: I will contest this part of what you said as we do have evidence of yhwh {changed as this fictional being's name in capitals is deeply offensive to all thinking people} being mentioned earlier in an Egyptian stele referring to the Shasu nomads. Thus it is possible yhwh has nomadic origins outside of Kena'an.

[citation needed]

Quote:What does seem evident though is this yhwh's later adoption into the Kena'any pantheon and then recognition as being one and the same as El, the chief creator deity of Kena'an (or who was recognized as such at least during the Ugaritic period).

yhwh only became el after the jews decided to go henotheistic and worship him exclusively, while recognising other gods, such as asherah, yhwh's mistress.

Quote:Also, whether this yhwh started out as a war god is debatable. There are theories just as valid that support a weather deity, moon deity, or desert deity hypothesis.

Do you understand what "lord of hosts" means? Once again, an atheist shows a far deeper and more complete understanding of the abrahamic faith than a person professing belief in that god.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Elohim is plural, too.
(July 20, 2018 at 8:20 am)Graufreud Wrote: "The extermination of the Canaanites was a blessing to the world. "

I have just read this on some site. I don't want to break 30/30 rule (or whatever it's called), so no link for whoever might be interested.
----
Well, I want to pose a question, why the purported command of Gawd was to exterminate and not to convert?

Just Google William Lane Craig's "apologetic"; the parents deserved Hell, the kiddos went straight to Heaven (without Mom & Dad, of course), and so, their deaths were a "blessing".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Immorality of God - The Canaanites athrock 114 12090 January 26, 2016 at 8:11 am
Last Post: DarkHorse