Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Query
A Query
I'm new here and I have scanned the threads. When I have read older threads I see a message about creating instead of replying to the old ones. What do you prefer? Me replying to old threads or shall I start new threads about more or less the same subject?
RE: A Query
Replying to threads that haven't had a post in 30+ days is called "necroposting" and is generally discouraged. Making new threads is better.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(July 20, 2018 at 2:05 pm)Icy Wrote: I'm new here and I have scanned the threads. When I have read older threads I see a message about creating instead of replying to the old ones. What do you prefer? Me replying to old threads or shall I start new threads about more or less the same subject?

When you necro an old thread, many times the participants in that old thread are no longer around, so you end up replying to people that don't exist, which pretty much dead ends the conversation. Additionally, posting in discussions is a good way for people to cut their teeth on a topic. If you're replying to something that already has a bunch of responses, it tends to discourage that kind of participation.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
In the rules, necroposting is well defined as are the exceptions for when it is acceptable. We have a number of threads here that can sometimes lie dormant for monts, yet it is still appropriate to post in them.

I would recommend reading the rules anyway, but the one for necroposting specifically.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
These !
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(July 20, 2018 at 2:05 pm)Icy Wrote: I'm new here and I have scanned the threads. When I have read older threads I see a message about creating instead of replying to the old ones. What do you prefer? Me replying to old threads or shall I start new threads about more or less the same subject?

Use the Force Luke.

Necro threads are considered impolite most everywhere. 

Your question to yourself really is have you your own ideas or must you rely upon long dead arguments from others? You are more than welcome here, but if you have nothing to say for yourself and must rely on others, you will be put to the test. It isn't personal, it's just how it works.
Thanks guys. I will start new threads instead of replying to old ones.
(July 21, 2018 at 2:40 am)Icy Wrote: Thanks guys. I will start new threads instead of replying to old ones.

It;s a matter of common courtesy. By resurrecting an old thread one is demanding that everyone else must perforce re-read the thread to reacquaint with the discussion. To make such a demand is boorish and rude. 

Just start new threads.
(July 21, 2018 at 2:40 am)Icy Wrote: Thanks guys. I will start new threads instead of replying to old ones.

And always remember to dispose of the bodies thoroughly.
Dying to live, living to die.