Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arnold and DeVito in "Twins"?
Arnold and DeVito in "Twins"?
Watching a science series on the Science Channel called "Space's Deepest Secrets". No clip but, some astrophysicists are speculating that Jupiter might have simply been a forming star that never ignited. That is according to the science show.

The other interesting thing about Jupiter is that when the far stronger lightening heats up it's clouds it produces diamond hail.
RE: Arnold and DeVito in "Twins"?
How is the content of the thread related to the title?
(July 22, 2018 at 7:17 pm)Kit Wrote: How is the content of the thread related to the title?

Really? The movie plot had them speculating that they might have been related.

In my title I am implying that Arnold the bigger brother became the sun, and DeVito became Jupiter, far smaller. Scientists are speculating now that Jupiter was headed to becoming a star, but our sun sucked up just enough dust and gas that it became denser quicker to the point the heat ignited it, where as Jupiter did not gain enough material fast enough to become a star, thus did not ignite,
I'm sort of sure Jupiter doesn’t have the mass to form a sun.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(July 22, 2018 at 9:18 pm)Succubus Wrote: I'm sort of sure Jupiter doesn’t have the mass to form a sun.

Way to miss the point. Did you not read my op? The show pointed this out. At the early stages of the solar system the sun simply gathered enough mass faster than Jupiter and Jupiter wasn't keeping up with the same pace as the future sun so it never got big enough or hot enough to ignite.
(July 23, 2018 at 6:36 am)Brian37 Wrote:
(July 22, 2018 at 9:18 pm)Succubus Wrote: I'm sort of sure Jupiter doesn’t have the mass to form a sun.

Way to miss the point. Did you not read my op?

Au contraire "No clip but".

Quote:The show pointed this out. At the early stages of the solar system the sun simply gathered enough mass faster than Jupiter and Jupiter wasn't keeping up with the same pace as the future sun so it never got big enough or hot enough to ignite.

The show pointed out something that I was aware of fifty years go, that's why I'm not going to bother my arse to find the thing and download it.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(July 23, 2018 at 12:44 pm)Succubus Wrote:
(July 23, 2018 at 6:36 am)Brian37 Wrote: Way to miss the point. Did you not read my op?

Au contraire "No clip but".

Quote:The show pointed this out. At the early stages of the solar system the sun simply gathered enough mass faster than Jupiter and Jupiter wasn't keeping up with the same pace as the future sun so it never got big enough or hot enough to ignite.

The show pointed out something that I was aware of fifty years go, that's why I'm not going to bother my arse to find the thing and download it.

Exactly this. I remember as a very little kid being taught that Jupiter was a 'failed star'.  This isn't exactly news.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Every gas giant is in a way a failed star.  Jupiter is a failed star, Saturn is a failed star,  you might even argue Uranus and Neptune are failed stars.   But notice they all fail by a large margin.   Jupiter were never anywhere close to being on the cusp of succeeding.   Jupiter would have to be 50 times more massive to even pretend to be a star.    The mass of the least massive star is to the mass of Jupiter as the mass of an adult human male would be to the mass of a kitten or a large rat.

So what is your point?
Which post is this a commentary on.
This speculation springs from the idea that most stars are binaries. Jupiter would be Sol's "failed brother star". If so it was a spectacular failure because Jupiter got the barest scraps after the sun was done gorging.

I try to have patience with the SciFi channel.