Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me understand this Indian "law"
Please help me understand this Indian "law"
Section 89 in the Indian Penal Code: This is basically the law that allows corporal punishment. You can find it at https://indiankanoon.org/doc/1858333/.

Quote:Section 89 in The Indian Penal Code

89. Act done in good faith for benefit of child or insane person, by or by consent of guardian.—Nothing which is done in good faith for the benefit of a person under twelve years of age, or of unsound mind, by or by consent, either express or implied, of the guardian or other person having lawful charge of that person, is an offence by reason of any harm which it may cause, or be intended by the doer to cause or be known by the doer to be likely to cause to that person: Provisos—Provided—
(First) — That this exception shall not extend to the intentional causing of death, or to the attempting to cause death;
(Secondly) —That this exception shall not extend to the doing of anything which the person doing it knows to be likely to cause death, for any purpose other than the preventing of death or grievous hurt, or the curing of any grievous disease or infirmi­ty;
(Thirdly) — That this exception shall not extend to the voluntary causing of grievous hurt, or to the attempting to cause grievous hurt, unless it be for the purpose of preventing death or griev­ous hurt, or the curing of any grievous disease or infirmity;
(Fourthly) —That this exception shall not extend to the abetment of any offence, to the committing of which offence it would not extend. Illustration A, in good faith, for his child’s benefit without his child’s consent, has his child cut for the stone by a surgeon. Knowing it to be likely that the operation will cause the child’s death, but not intending to cause the child’s death. A is within the excep­tion, inasmuch as his object was the cure of the child.

It took me a couple of readings to understand what the first paragraph, which probably qualifies as the worst-written sentence in the history of the English language, was trying to say.

So if a parent hits her 10-year-old child (or 'insane' child) "in good faith for the benefit of the child", it's not an offence. But if a stranger hits the same child with the same expressed intent without the consent of the child's parents, that's an offence. Am I understanding this correctly? Does this make sense to anyone?
RE: Please help me understand this Indian "law"
Go ask a lawyer licensed to practice law in India. FFS
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
It's India. Where a woman protesting on the street about a series of gang rapes was gang raped and murdered.

Who understands their society and laws?
Dying to live, living to die.
It's the "Beat The Shit Out Of Your Own Kids" Law.

Very popular in primitive cultures.
(July 24, 2018 at 8:35 pm)Fireball Wrote: Go ask a lawyer licensed to practice law in India. FFS

No, I don't want to waste $100.
You've lost your troll-y mojo with this thread, Alexmahone. I'm disappointed. Maybe you can do better with the next one.

-Teresa
(July 24, 2018 at 8:08 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: Section 89 in the Indian Penal Code: This is basically the law that allows corporal punishment. You can find it at https://indiankanoon.org/doc/1858333/.

[Image: 7Fnv.gif]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It means they don't understand or give a shit about kids.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(July 24, 2018 at 8:48 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: It's India.  Where a woman protesting on the street about a series of gang rapes was gang raped and murdered.

Who understands their society and laws?
Yes, there are huge problems here. The rape culture being one of them. That doesn't mean the entire society and all the laws are absurd, you know. It's a country of 1.3 BILLION people, which is practicing a successful democracy. It is, truly, the biggest democracy in the world. That's something that needs to be considered before dissing it. 

(July 24, 2018 at 8:49 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It's the "Beat The Shit Out Of Your Own Kids" Law.

Very popular in primitive cultures.
Ok this made me laugh because it's true. Not exactly a primitive culture, but yes, that's that law in a much more coherent sentence than the one in the Penal Code. 

(July 24, 2018 at 9:48 pm)chimp3 Wrote: It means they don't understand or give a shit about kids.
Ok, this is where you're completely wrong. The culture has always been one of respecting your elders, and elders in turn, frankly, disrespecting their own children. Is that wrong? Absolutely. Does that mean they don't understand or give a shit about kids? No. Not at all. It's a different culture, man. Kids are said to be the flowers in the garden of God. In a hugely religious country, that really means something, even if it's only something to laugh at for atheists. And I can assure you, as a kid that's grew up half in India and half in US, kids here are on the whole much happier and more content than in US. And no, the only people who hit their kids are parents/guardians. And that too, rarely. Except in slums, which is a different story altogether, and contrary to popular belief, not representative of the majority of the population.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 

Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Podcast recommendations please... arewethereyet 1 204 September 1, 2020 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Two things that I don't understand. Add yours. Figbash 14 1248 May 4, 2020 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: no one
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1142 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Can you filthy foreigners please invite your friends? Losty 43 2944 May 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Question What do you think of this new indian spiritual guru ? Megabullshit 4 810 April 13, 2019 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  somebody, Please Talk Sense into My Stupid Head. I Think I'm Getting Ready to Fuck Up Rhondazvous 30 2242 September 13, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Gentlebeings, a salute, please. Gawdzilla Sama 13 1224 July 31, 2018 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Brian37
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1155 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Something young kids today will never understand Foxaèr 114 12480 June 2, 2018 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
Tongue Something old people today will never understand ignoramus 34 3357 June 2, 2018 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie