Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are there barely any teens on AF?
Why are there barely any teens on AF?
So this is just a thought I had a few hours ago. As far as I can tell, from the members who're active these days, everyone seems to be at least over 20. I know that teens use forums, not nearly as much as popular social media apps, but more than, say, email. And AF certainly isn't a dead forum. So why aren't kids coming here?
As far as I can tell, there are two main types of atheists here: Those who are comfortable with atheism and just want to get to know the people here (while still contributing to topics regarding belief too), and those who have a lot to ask about, talk about, debate about, etc regarding atheism. (Oh and a third type who're just here to fight.  Popcorn  ) 
I also noticed that most of you born into religious families were only beginning to doubt religion at this point, the transition happened much later. So maybe that explains why the religious kids turned atheists aren't here. But what about those born into atheist families? Is atheism simply such a fact of life for them that posting on a forum about it simply doesn't occur to them? Is it akin to a forum about breathing for them? That seems far too far fetched, because even kids in atheist families must know they're a minority, surely. 

So then why, the question remains, are there no kids on AF? The only possible explanation, then, is that you dramatic band of heathens have scared them all off. Except for me. But I mean, the fact that I'm the last remaining member of an otherwise extinct species speaks mounds about my balls anyways.  Cool

No but seriously, thoughts?
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
RE: Why are there barely any teens on AF?
More likely to be on FB, Twitter, or engaged in hormone driven activities?
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 25, 2018 at 1:34 pm)DodosAreDead Wrote: As far as I can tell, there are two main types of atheists here: Those who are comfortable with atheism and just want to get to know the people here (while still contributing to topics regarding belief too), and those who have a lot to ask about, talk about, debate about, etc regarding atheism. (Oh and a third type who're just here to fight.  Popcorn  )

That seems one valid way to divide us up. But amongst those who are comfortable with their atheism, some are land locked in the bible belt. So this becomes a peer space for people who don't feel part of what animates the church goers in their own neighborhoods.

That isn't me since the odds are in my favor that anyone I talk to in Berkeley will be an atheist, though not all of course. I taught kids math who are only a bit younger than you and I avoided discussing religion for the sake of the minority believers. Those poor guys have it rough enough. *shudders*

(July 25, 2018 at 1:34 pm)DodosAreDead Wrote:  
I also noticed that most of you born into religious families were only beginning to doubt religion at this point, the transition happened much later. So maybe that explains why the religious kids turned atheists aren't here. But what about those born into atheist families?

Reasons will vary of course but my own stepson (six years old when his mom and I got together) was raised without religion but has gone very strongly in that direction. He is almost 42 now. *Dodo reels in horror* He has become a priest of some kind in a group associated with the Brazilian guy who slices people open in trance and calls himself John of God. So he isn't here as an atheist because he isn't one. He is an engineer so he knows something about the empirical world but he obviously requires a bit of woo in his life too.

(July 25, 2018 at 1:34 pm)DodosAreDead Wrote: Is atheism simply such a fact of life for them that posting on a forum about it simply doesn't occur to them? Is it akin to a forum about breathing for them? That seems far too far fetched, because even kids in atheist families must know they're a minority, surely.

Maybe my stepson's beliefs represent a kind of rebellion toward our status quo. But who knows? His mother, my wife, has never been religious but she wouldn't come here because she can't imagine there is anything of interest to say or hear about religion. But she likes it when I share the occasional morsel with her.

(July 25, 2018 at 1:34 pm)DodosAreDead Wrote: So then why, the question remains, are there no kids on AF? The only possible explanation, then, is that you dramatic band of heathens have scared them all off. Except for me. But I mean, the fact that I'm the last remaining member of an otherwise extinct species speaks mounds about my balls anyways.  Cool

No but seriously, thoughts?

You aren't the first but I suspect in most cases people just get busy in their lives soon after your age. The long timers seem mostly to be grizzled, retired old geezers like me or else have a circumstance that gives them more time for the internet more often. (Some design stuff for computers and volunteer to help manage the place.) Have you met Joods? Her son used to hang out for a while.

Personally I'm glad to know a person as young as you who has ideas they're willing to share in this format.

(July 25, 2018 at 1:56 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: More likely to be on FB, Twitter, or engaged in hormone driven activities?

Ahh .. hormones.  Good times, for sure.
I suspect the answer is that we're simply not the cool kids who are hanging out on 4chan and reddit. Welcome to boringville!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Pretty good analysis!

Personally, here in England, religion is dead in the water. I only relatively recently became aware of the amount of shocking harm religion caused worldwide, and how hard atheists have it in other countries. (I've lead a sheltered life.) I wanted to speak out, to meet other atheists and support those in much harder situations.

I think the comments about social media are probably accurate. I find that shit tiresome, having not grown up with it. We have had a few teens here, but not many.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(July 25, 2018 at 2:33 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I suspect the answer is that we're simply not the cool kids who are hanging out on 4chan and reddit. Welcome to boringville!

And, of course, we sacrifice teens here to the Dark One.
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 25, 2018 at 1:56 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: More likely to be on FB, Twitter, or engaged in hormone driven activities?
(my bold)

Who says you have to be a teen for that? Angel
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
When I was a teen, I didn't really care about religion or a lack thereof. I don't care much more now, but I had better things to do then. By better, I mean nefarious things from which it took decades to recover.
Chris Hansen told us to stay away from kids, so they aren't allowed here anymore.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
Quote:Why are there barely any teens on AF?

They are probably afraid that there are pedo priests lurking about.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Purpose? Is there any? Seek3r 10 1254 July 23, 2020 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Maybe there's something like a god out there. Ryantology 38 2959 June 5, 2020 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 6982 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do u want there to be a God? Any God? Agnostico 304 28630 December 19, 2018 at 1:20 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Why are there less female atheists? Lebneni Murtad 45 8342 March 8, 2017 at 1:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2555 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Why there is something rather than nothing... Jehanne 43 7758 August 28, 2016 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Arkilogue
  are there any girls in the world that like shy guys? Rextos 154 14779 August 11, 2016 at 6:43 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  why is there even a word to describe non believers? ticktaka 26 5845 April 17, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: ticktaka
  Any Level 7's out there? Avodaiah 34 7553 January 11, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam