Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Male authors who prefer using female pronouns
Male authors who prefer using female pronouns
I've come across a few textbooks written by male authors, who prefer using female pronouns when they must assign a gender to a fictitious person used to illustrate a point.

As a male, I'm feeling left out.
RE: Male authors who prefer using female pronouns
I've always found the practice obnoxiously self-conscious in a way that draws attention to the issue and thus presents an obstacle to simple reading of the text.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 26, 2018 at 6:19 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I've always found the practice obnoxiously self-conscious in a way that draws attention to the issue and thus presents an obstacle to simple reading of the text.

If you're assigning a gender to a situation like the one you describe, I'd suggest flip a coin if you care that much about the issue. I'd say heads, the person is male. If tails, make them female. That should be reasonably fair.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 26, 2018 at 6:14 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: I've come across a few textbooks written by male authors, who prefer using female pronouns when they must assign a gender to a fictitious person used to illustrate a point.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, ya bloody sheila.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(July 26, 2018 at 6:30 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(July 26, 2018 at 6:19 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I've always found the practice obnoxiously self-conscious in a way that draws attention to the issue and thus presents an obstacle to simple reading of the text.

If you're assigning a gender to a situation like the one you describe, I'd suggest flip a coin if you care that much about the issue. I'd say heads, the person is male. If tails, make them female. That should be reasonably fair.

Why heads as male? I think flipping a coin to decide which gender gets heads should be done first.
(July 29, 2018 at 6:12 pm)SaStrike Wrote:
(July 26, 2018 at 6:30 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: If you're assigning a gender to a situation like the one you describe, I'd suggest flip a coin if you care that much about the issue. I'd say heads, the person is male. If tails, make them female. That should be reasonably fair.

Why heads as male? I think flipping a coin to decide which gender gets heads should be done first.

Okay, here's an idea. Apparently, the heavier side of a coin (heads, usually) is slightly more likely to hit the ground, making it about 51/49. By an extraordinary coincidence, that's actually close to the ratio of male to female in the world's population. Give the females the lighter side (tails, if the heads side is heavier) for the little extra edge that reflects the actual incidence of the genders.

And look, I just reconstructed the heads is male, tails is female idea, and created a rationale that explains it with statistics, and even makes it reflect the slightly larger number of women than men. And the damnedest thing? I didn't even actually set out to do so when I first hit "reply." I remembered that there was a slight edge about a regular coin that can skew the odds slightly, and since it said that the heavier side of a penny is the heads side, casing it to land slightly more often tails side up. If there are coins with a heavier tails side (the research I found didn't bother with other coins), feel free to change it to reflect that.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(July 26, 2018 at 6:14 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: I've come across a few textbooks written by male authors, who prefer using female pronouns when they must assign a gender to a fictitious person used to illustrate a point.

You'll be okay sweetheart.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(July 26, 2018 at 6:19 pm)Angrboda Wrote: I've always found the practice obnoxiously self-conscious in a way that draws attention to the issue and thus presents an obstacle to simple reading of the text.

I feel  the same!
(November 5, 2020 at 6:31 pm)Dundee Wrote:
(July 26, 2018 at 6:19 pm)Angrboda Wrote: I've always found the practice obnoxiously self-conscious in a way that draws attention to the issue and thus presents an obstacle to simple reading of the text.

I feel  the same!

STOP reviving old threads

As with all books and writers, everyone has their own insights and opinions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Female Parent Day Foxaèr 10 610 May 30, 2021 at 8:52 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir