Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 5, 2024, 2:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hello everyone, I'm new here. Before you ask, no I am not 17, it's just my old baseball number. Anyways, how are you all? I look forward to continuing my growth in knowledge and having many discussions with you people so if you have any questions then please ask?
RE: Hello
Are you 17? Lol. Tongue

Welcome to the forum! I am also new, but this place is awesome. There are a lot of great minds here.
Hey Smile Welcome to the forums. What does the LWP mean?

You declare yourself as a humanist, why?

I assume from that you are an atheist/naturalist?

And if so then why?
(December 13, 2010 at 4:08 am)LWP17 Wrote: Hello everyone, I'm new here. Before you ask, no I am not 17, it's just my old baseball number. Anyways, how are you all? I look forward to continuing my growth in knowledge and having many discussions with you people so if you have any questions then please ask?

Welcome to the Atheist forums LWP17
undefined
theVOID, if you don't mind me asking, what is humanism and naturalism?
Just because you're new i'll go find the links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalism_(philosophy)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

Try google first next time Tongue
LWP are just my initials. Couldn't really think of anything catchy to use.

As for me claiming to be Humanist, I believe that we, as people, shape what our world was, is, and will become. I classify myself as an atheist because I do not believe and see proof in a supernatural power that is controlling things or has programmed us to do things, it is all our own doing.

I appreciate your welcomes and look forward to becoming a member of this community.
That's my position regarding god/the supernatural too, a lack of any valid reasons to believe.

As far as "humanism" goes, seeing as every humanist seems to have a different take on it, exactly what do you believe regarding knowledge/values and how did you arrive at that conclusion? You've said "we as people" shape our world, does that give mean you think humans have total authority over their environment?
If by total authority without supernatural then yes. I feel that things are as they are because of our ability to evolve and adapt and it was our will to survive as a species that has gotten us here. What do you mean by total authority over the environment?

Sorry if it's not making much sense, been up for about 24 hours now and sleep just hit me so I'll be back on later to answer more clearly if needed.
I'm no stranger to the 24+ hour stints, but usually drugs and alcohol are involved Tongue What's the occasion?

I'll put it another way:

Do humans have dominion over the environment and animals?

What part of human evolution gives us justification for this action? All animals have the ability to adapt and evolve and many (if not all) have the will to survive (depending on what you mean by will), so what makes humanity the authority?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6198 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3735 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates