Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best not to dwell on that...
Best not to dwell on that...
Students entering college this year will not pay off their student loans until the second half of this century.
RE: Best not to dwell on that...
Especially the underwater basket weaving majors . . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I must be from a different planet. I just don't understand how that much debt can accumulate. I worked the entire time I went to college and graduated debt-free. Of course, the GI Bill helped, but not that much. It might have taken another year to graduate if I hadn't had it.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(July 30, 2018 at 9:53 am)Fireball Wrote: I must be from a different planet. I just don't understand how that much debt can accumulate. I worked the entire time I went to college and graduated debt-free. Of course, the GI Bill helped, but not that much. It might have taken another year to graduate if I hadn't had it.

The day before I graduated, ~$100,000.00. Day after, $0.00. And no, you can't get that plan unless you already know how.
Alpha's guide to college:

1. Choose a major that is likely to get you a good-paying job with long-term security, and that you're probably good at. 

2. Find a school that gives such degrees and is relatively low priced.

3. Ask that school what classes will transfer there from your local community college.

4. Get a job.

5. Go to community college, only taking classes that will transfer.

6. Finish up at school from Step 2.
(July 30, 2018 at 1:57 pm)alpha male Wrote: :

good-paying job with long-term security..

ROFLOL

The widespread delusion that good paying job with long-term security is probable based on some second rate education and is therefore the ticket, and a real education that facilitates flexibility and broad view is “too intellectual”, have a lot to do with the fact that those same “good-paying job with long-term security” tend to be fewer and afford even less “long-term security” then they otherwise might have.
Yeah, because flexibility and broad view are highly sought after by employers...
There are only two smart things to do now: go to college, but only if you get a degree that will land you in a "future-proof" job (one that can't be replaced by AI in 10-20 years) or go to trade school (because there are millions of openings that need to be filled but aren't.)

I think I did the first one. Unless somebody's in their garage working on a robot legislative/policy analyst right now.
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
(July 30, 2018 at 2:25 pm)alpha male Wrote: Yeah, because flexibility and broad view are highly sought after by employers...

What employers want are people who work cheap.  The country is at full employment and wages remain stagnant.  Do you think that is an accident?
(July 30, 2018 at 2:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote: What employers want are people who work cheap. 

No shit, Sherlock. That's why it's important to go into a field with high demand. My job isn't my passion (hence the time spent on this site), but I get a raise of 5 - 6% every year.