Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question for Tolkenistas...
A question for Tolkenistas...
"Third time pays all!" (From memory.) 

Gandalf the White says this to the boss eagle when they rush off to save Frodo and Sam from a lava bath. So there's a back story there? Anybody know it?
RE: A question for Tolkenistas...
Gandalf saved the eagle King's life by removing an arrow? Something like that. This would be the third favor that Gandalf has asked them in return. He's saying that if they do this, the debt will be considered payed in full.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(September 8, 2018 at 6:50 am)Aroura Wrote: Gandalf saved the eagle King's life by removing an arrow? Something like that. This would be the third favor that Gandalf has asked them in return. He's saying that if they do this, the debt will be considered payed in full.

I understood the repayment part, I was wondering why there was a debt at all. Thanks for the info.

First payment was at the Battle of Five Armies, right?
(September 8, 2018 at 6:58 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(September 8, 2018 at 6:50 am)Aroura Wrote: Gandalf saved the eagle King's life by removing an arrow? Something like that. This would be the third favor that Gandalf has asked them in return. He's saying that if they do this, the debt will be considered payed in full.

I understood the repayment part, I was wondering why there was a debt at all. Thanks for the info.

First payment was at the Battle of Five Armies, right?

Unlikely. The eagle Gandalf saved from a poison arrow is named Gwaihir. None of the eagles in "Hobbit" are named, and some people think, that "King of the Eagles" and Gwaihir are the same. However, Gwaihir saves Gandalf twice in "Lord Of The Rings" - once from Isengard, where he was imprisoned by Saruman, then after his battle with Balrog on top of a mountain. The third time would be carrying Gandalf to pick up Frodo and Sam, so either the arrow incident occurred after the Battle of Five Armies, or it's a different eagle.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
What Nutter said.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I'd forgotten the pickup on the mountain. Been a long time since I read the books.
The eagles also help Gandalf twice in the Hobbit, so it must be different as Nutter says. First from the burning read, goblins and wargs, second they bring their army to the battle of 5 armies.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
Possibly an oversight by JRR. Or perhaps, the help given in The Hobbit somehow counts as one time.
(September 8, 2018 at 7:56 am)Aroura Wrote: The eagles also help Gandalf twice in the Hobbit, so it must be different as Nutter says. First from the burning read, goblins and wargs, second they bring their army to the battle of 5 armies.

He summoned them when they were in the trees for a rescue mission. I put their part in the Battle of Five Armies as a military venture, not a payback. 

We have the ... sixty? ... years between the events to have an favor done by Gandalf that requires such recompense. I'll check the appendices.
You guys know Tolkien like christards don’t know the Bible.  Get a life. Big Grin

I will sidle away now.