Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rites of Passage Rituals (More or Less)
Rites of Passage Rituals (More or Less)
Do you all think we need more secular rites of passage rituals? We have the popular ones like graduation ceremonies, birthday parties and marriage. Do you think the secular community needs to create more of their own? I personally stopped going to graduation ceremonies after 6th grade because I found them to be kinda goofy. I don't really care about birthday parties either the older I get. I guess you can always create your own fun rituals with others of similar interests. That may be better to do it privately since the old ones may not meet some people's taste. Just my thoughts for today.
RE: Rites of Passage Rituals (More or Less)
Self induced projectile vomiting at age 21.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Now that I’m safely past my prime, I recommend some old-school, painful Native American-style rites of passage.
I don't think that's necessary since they're only symbolic.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
(September 15, 2018 at 5:30 pm)Sal Wrote: I don't think that's necessary since they're only symbolic.

Christmas and Thanksgiving are only symbolic, but that doesn't mean the experience isn't valuable, meaningful, and enriching.

Rituals add structure and meaning to otherwise nondescript days. The more the better.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]