Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Galileo Speaks Again
Galileo Speaks Again
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/long-lo...le-church/

Quote:Long-lost letter from Galileo reveals new details about his battle with the church

Quote:In the letter’s seven pages, Galileo writes to his friend Benedetto Castelli, a mathematician at the University of Pisa, on Dec. 21, 1613, arguing that science should be free from the constraints of theology. He signs the letter “G.G.”

Galileo would eventually be condemned to house arrest by the Inquisition in July 1633 for his beliefs.

This is what happens when you give religious dickheads any kind of temporal power.
RE: Galileo Speaks Again
Like today in the US?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Pretty much.
Galileo is one of my heroes! What an awesome find!

Never was it shown more clearly that it is not enough for one to simply have the correct idea, but often one must fight against the prevailing dogma. Nowadays, you get a nobel prize for unlocking the secrets of the cosmos. There was a time, however, when you could be burned at the stake for it.

Too bad we still have a plentitude of nutjobs that insist on homeschooling their children to protect them from genuine knowledge.
I think they are called the Future Republicunts of 'Murrica.
(September 21, 2018 at 2:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/long-lo...le-church/

Quote:Long-lost letter from Galileo reveals new details about his battle with the church

Quote:In the letter’s seven pages, Galileo writes to his friend Benedetto Castelli, a mathematician at the University of Pisa, on Dec. 21, 1613, arguing that science should be free from the constraints of theology. He signs the letter “G.G.”

Galileo would eventually be condemned to house arrest by the Inquisition in July 1633 for his beliefs.

This is what happens when you give religious dickheads any kind of temporal power.

Came out all right in the end, I suppose.  Practically everyone has heard of Galileo, but bring up the name of Maffeo Barberini, and you're unlikely to get anything other than a quizzical stare.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It will stay that way without a link, Mr. Potato Head. Smile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maffeo_Bar...80%931685)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(September 21, 2018 at 5:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I think they are called the Future Republicunts of 'Murrica.

Future Republicunts of 'Murrica... but current victims of backwards thinking/indoctrination/fear of the truth.

Let's take a cue from Back to the Future III here. "The future is not written." Those who are being "trained" to be our enemies might turn out to be our biggest allies. After all, we have the internet now, and people can hear every side of the argument. Fundies gotta be careful with the lies now. They used to just say whatever the fuck they wanted. Now they must be careful.
(September 21, 2018 at 9:51 pm)vulcanlogician Wrote:
(September 21, 2018 at 5:23 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I think they are called the Future Republicunts of 'Murrica.

Future Republicunts of 'Murrica... but current victims of backwards thinking/indoctrination/fear of the truth.

Let's take a cue from Back to the Future III here. "The future is not written." Those who are being "trained" to be our enemies might turn out to be our biggest allies. After all, we have the internet now, and people can hear every side of the argument. Fundies gotta be careful with the lies now. They used to just say whatever the fuck they wanted. Now they must be careful.

having access to the internet is not always a good thing... case in point, the last election!
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(September 21, 2018 at 7:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 21, 2018 at 2:06 pm)Minimalist Wrote: https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/long-lo...le-church/

Came out all right in the end, I suppose.  Practically everyone has heard of Galileo, but bring up the name of Maffeo Barberini, and you're unlikely to get anything other than a quizzical stare.

Boru

Wasn't he the fellow who had some weirdo who'd gone mad from staring at the sun through a telescope too often committed to house arrest?
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home