Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To blend in, you...
To blend in, you...
Do you have to suppress things about you, because if you didn’t people would assume you’re a nutcase? I’m not talking about normal quirks.

I feel physically ill when I hear babies or toddlers cry. I was at work yesterday and there were three babies with different mommas at the same time waiting in a lobby area. I wanted to cry and hold the babies so bad. I wanted to run away from the place to make it go away. The sound of babies crying makes me think of horror. So, I worked my ass off the rest of the day and tried my best to function like a normal human. Yes, I threw up. Yes, I had to focus every minute to not show my true feelings. If I don’t put in the effort to blend in, I could probably end up losing my job, because we deal with all kind of sad and traumatic cases. A baby crying should not put me in this situation. So, I blend.

Is there anything that you have to suppress when in public? Or am I the only weirdo?

This week has been hell, honestly. Everything is a trigger.
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
RE: To blend in, you...
At least you can blend in, which is what normal people do?

About the baby crying thing, google that shit, you might have stage 5 ligma or something even more serious. Best to do research.
At work.

Hug

Heart
(September 29, 2018 at 12:57 pm)SaStrike Wrote: At least you can blend in, which is what normal people do?

About the baby crying thing, google that shit, you might have stage 5 ligma or something even more serious. Best to do research.

And see a professional if one needs to. It does not make one crazy, it just means you might need to learn some coping skills..
(September 29, 2018 at 1:30 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(September 29, 2018 at 12:57 pm)SaStrike Wrote: At least you can blend in, which is what normal people do?

And see a professional if one needs to. It does not make one crazy, it just means you might need to learn some coping skills..

Except, ligma isn’t a thing, Brian. Lol it’s SaStrike! You should know better by now. Hehe
"Hipster is what happens when young hot people do what old ladies do." -Exian
(September 29, 2018 at 1:35 pm)J a c k Wrote:
(September 29, 2018 at 1:30 pm)Brian37 Wrote: And see a professional if one needs to. It does not make one crazy, it just means you might need to learn some coping skills..

Except, ligma isn’t a thing, Brian. Lol it’s SaStrike! You should know better by now. Hehe

?
I'm serious though have you tried googling the baby crying part? Maybe it has been addressed online somewhere. Get tips on how to better blend in/cope with it. (And as brian37 said, you could see a professional but I don't think it's that serious)
I’m a bit of what you’d call a “social chameleon”. My values don’t change, but when I’m around certain types of people my mannerisms and accent tend to mirror theirs. Especially around “country folk”.

It’s not intentional, though I sometimes become aware of it. I think it’s a byproduct of my social anxiety personally.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
My wives have all remarked 'do you know those people?' I can chat with anybody I meet spontaneously. I sometimes see people trying to remember where they know me from.
....wear a meat sack suit.
I know I'm weird, everyone knows I'm weird ... I don't care Smile
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to suppress parts of myself, to blend in. Gooders1002 30 6279 November 14, 2012 at 6:51 am
Last Post: jonb