Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 11:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Safety Coffin
The Safety Coffin
Quote:A safety coffin or security coffin is a coffin fitted with a mechanism to prevent premature burial or allow the occupant to signal that they have been buried alive. A large number of designs for safety coffins were patented during the 18th and 19th centuries and variations on the idea are still available today.

[Image: Safetycoffin.jpg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_coffin

Interesting concept. I wonder why I have not seen it in a movie until now.
RE: The Safety Coffin
Have you been living in a cave?

If my wishes are followed this will be my first coffin.

I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 16, 2018 at 8:13 pm)wyzas Wrote: Have you been living in a cave?

If my wishes are followed this will be my first coffin.

Yes, off the grid and outfitted with all the modern amenities.

I can't tell what the purpose of that coffin is. Dunno Or are you inferring that you want your body donated to science?
This is the origin of the phrase “saved by the bell.”

Evidently Irish moonshine used to put people into comas, and so many people were accidentally buried alive that this kind of mechanism became common. Also workers were added to cemeteries to listen for these bells...origin of the term “graveyard shift.”

Things you learn in the Irish Whiskey Museum tour...
I guess that's where the saying "dead drunk" came from? I want to do what Mark is showing- leave my sorry ass for some poor medical people to marvel Rolleyes over. I get sliced and diced, and then the rest of the remains are cremated and given back to my family. For free. Win-win!
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
A few years ago we had one of those "declared dead" zipped in a body bag wake ups here in Tiny County. Major lawsuit.

A problem with modern burial is the requirements that the body be drained and fluid replaced with formaldehyde. Plus, the coffin itself gets buried in a cement box. Kinda hard to come back from all that. Unless you're a mythical religious character I suppose.
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
(October 16, 2018 at 9:41 pm)outtathereligioncloset Wrote: A few years ago we had one of those "declared dead" zipped in a body bag wake ups here in Tiny County.  Major lawsuit.

A problem with modern burial is the requirements that the body be drained and fluid replaced with formaldehyde.  Plus, the coffin itself gets buried in a cement box.  Kinda hard to come back from all that.  Unless you're a mythical religious character I suppose.

Or a vampire. Cool
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(October 16, 2018 at 8:35 pm)julep Wrote: This is the origin of the phrase “saved by the bell.”

Evidently Irish moonshine used to put people into comas, and so many people were accidentally buried alive that this kind of mechanism became common. Also workers were added to cemeteries to listen for these bells...origin of the term “graveyard shift.”

No, "saved by the bell" comes from boxing; a boxer still on his feet, but faltering, can be saved from his opponent giving the decisive blow because the bell that marks the end of the round rang, and the boxers know you don't fuck with the Marquess of Queensbury's rules.

Fitchburg Daily Sentinel, Feb. 1893 Wrote:"Martin Flaherty defeated Bobby Burns in 32 rounds by a complete knockout. Half a dozen times Flaherty was saved by the bell in the earlier rounds."

That was the earliest known use of the phrase. At least until this:

(Also, it turns out that YouTube is down, so if the video looks like a random string of characters in a text box instead of a video, that's why)

Also, looking into the safety coffin's history, it's telling that there are no signs of anyone actually being saved by that bell.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(October 16, 2018 at 9:59 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(October 16, 2018 at 8:35 pm)julep Wrote: This is the origin of the phrase “saved by the bell.”  

Evidently Irish moonshine used to put people into comas, and so many people were accidentally buried alive that this kind of mechanism became common.  Also workers were added to cemeteries to listen for these bells...origin of the term “graveyard shift.”  

No, "saved by the bell" comes from boxing; a boxer still on his feet, but faltering, can be saved from his opponent giving the decisive blow because the bell that marks the end of the round rang, and the boxers know you don't fuck with the Marquess of Queensbury's rules.

Fitchburg Daily Sentinel, Feb. 1893 Wrote:"Martin Flaherty defeated Bobby Burns in 32 rounds by a complete knockout. Half a dozen times Flaherty was saved by the bell in the earlier rounds."

That was the earliest known use of the phrase. At least until this:

(Also, it turns out that YouTube is down, so if the video looks like a random string of characters in a text box instead of a video, that's why)

Also, looking into the safety coffin's history, it's telling that there are no signs of anyone actually being saved by that bell.

You mean the guide at the whiskey museum was lying to us?   Dodgy

She seemed so sincere.  

Of course at the beginning of the tour she said she was native Irish and then she told us she was from New Jersey.
I like the other safety options. 

[Image: bc0ui2gbgkkgrhqyh-dwequsutvjbk2ly2b9lw_12.jpg?w=640]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your online safety.......... Brian37 86 13462 December 5, 2015 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Whateverist