Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inetersting tweet by proffessor Brain Cox.
Inetersting tweet by proffessor Brain Cox.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Inetersting tweet by proffessor Brain Cox.
Inetersting ineded.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-
[Image: 2lgqyi.jpg]
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Perhaps because this "something" is the only way things can logically be. My take at least.
I have long felt that 'nothingness' is given way too much privilege as the presumed state of affairs that requires no explanation.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(November 1, 2018 at 8:56 am)Grandizer Wrote: Why is there something rather than nothing?

Perhaps because this "something" is the only way things can logically be. My take at least.
But we're ex post facto to the be/not be issue.
(November 1, 2018 at 4:03 am)downbeatplumb Wrote:
Quote:[/url]

Brian Cox

@ProfBrianCox

2 Jul
[url=https://mobile.twitter.com/ProfBrianCox/status/1013666371547394049]
We don’t know. The universe might be eternal, there may be no beginning. We need (at least) a quantum theory of gravity. But the laws of Nature as we understand them today are compatible with the Universe simply existing. Why is there something rather than nothing? Why not?

This still has nothing to do with a super natural cognition which science is running away from as a requirement. Stephen Hawking, "A God is not required".

It does not matter if "all this" came from nothing, or is the result of the death of prior events. What is not needed as a gap answer is a sky wizard.
(November 1, 2018 at 9:08 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: I have long felt that 'nothingness' is given way too much privilege as the presumed state of affairs that requires no explanation.

Really?

Can you explain more?
(November 1, 2018 at 9:21 am)CarveTheFive Wrote:
(November 1, 2018 at 9:08 am)Mister Agenda Wrote: I have long felt that 'nothingness' is given way too much privilege as the presumed state of affairs that requires no explanation.

Really?

Can you explain more?

How can true nothingness 'exist'? Ignoring the semantics issue of even saying that, how long could a state of nothingness last with no time? No time at all, I'd say. And it seems like there are an infinite number of possible other states than nothingness, but only one way for there to not be anything. And what property of nothingness would prevent there being something, if the only property of nothingness is the absence of anything, including other properties? Absolute nothingness: no matter, energy, space, time, or vacuum fluctuations seems like the most unlikely possible state of affairs to prevail.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(November 1, 2018 at 9:29 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(November 1, 2018 at 9:21 am)CarveTheFive Wrote: Really?

Can you explain more?

How can true nothingness 'exist'? Ignoring the semantics issue of even saying that, how long could a state of nothingness last with no time? No time at all, I'd say. And it seems like there are an infinite number of possible other states than nothingness, but only one way for there to not be anything. And what property of nothingness would prevent there being something, if the only property of nothingness is the absence of anything, including other properties? Absolute nothingness: no matter, energy, space, time, or vacuum fluctuations seems like the most unlikely possible state of affairs to prevail.

Yeah.  The concept of "nothingness" is sorta..well, inconceivable.  It's not an idea that I can coherently hold in my head because its definitions are so nonsensical.  And how can nothingness 'exist', if existence is a property of something?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are You a Boltzmann Brain? GrandizerII 5 730 April 2, 2018 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Why I love Brian Cox SteelCurtain 5 1285 February 20, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Brain cell is the same as the universe Phish 4 2331 February 16, 2013 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Zone
  Brian Cox interview 5thHorseman 6 2845 December 10, 2011 at 7:56 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Brian Cox: Im-not-anti-religion.-Im-anti-maniac KichigaiNeko 14 6847 April 4, 2011 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Violet
  Brian Cox: Why we need the explorers The_Flying_Skeptic 0 1433 June 3, 2010 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: The_Flying_Skeptic