Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone identify the artist here?
Can anyone identify the artist here?
I saw this black and white sketch depicting Spanish conquer's chopping off the hands of natives. Famous artwork for it's time. Saw it first when I was a kid. That shit haunted the hell out of me. Can't remember if it was a book, or National Geographic. 

Hopefully the image will take here. If it does, it is the top clip with a several natives with their hands cut off, and in the center a Spanish invader chopping off a native's hand on a chopping block. 

[Image: Dru5lP7VAAI_2m7.jpg:large]
RE: Can anyone identify the artist here?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:..._Quota.jpg

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Well it's god of course. It just used somebody else's hands and eyes.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Someone on twitter just gave me the answer. An artist named Theodor De Bry.
Question: Can this be a simple painting that has no evidence to back it up?
(November 11, 2018 at 12:34 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Someone on twitter just gave me the answer. An artist named Theodor De Bry.

Yes, like I said. Sheesh.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 11, 2018 at 12:43 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 11, 2018 at 12:34 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Someone on twitter just gave me the answer. An artist named Theodor De Bry.

Boru

I read your link and I thought the artist was Steve.
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 11, 2018 at 12:43 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Boru

Not the point. By the time you posted this, someone else on Twitter posted the same answer, I simply read theirs before yours.

I do appreciate the effort. I posted the same question here as I did on twitter to increase my chances of getting more help in answering. I wasn't sure if they would get back to me as quickly.
Oh, nice. So I have to lose out on the cash award you offered because YOU had to go poncing off to Twitter?

*mutter mutter fume fume*

Boru
Seems clear they're cutting off more than hands. Looks like some noses missing and someone about to cut out eyes too.
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?