Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unexplained Events That Happened To You?
Unexplained Events That Happened To You?
Ever had something happen to you that just baffles the mind and any logic bases you've had?

As an agnostic, I've had a few of these happen to me. Some of them could be chalked up to 'coincidence' but after so many of them, your just like "You know what, that happen, and I'm not going to bother over thinking it."

So, care to share you experiences, sarcastically or truthfully? ((Because lets face it I'm on a forum of atheists. I already know you'll be sarcastic on here, whether I'm asking for less of it or not.))

You all might not agree with me being agnostic, but like I said in my bio. After so much illogical based shit happens to you, your just like. "I have my reasons, they were proof enough for me, so that's good enough for me. You don't have to believe it." Then again, if every religion was like that, this forum wouldn't exist. Because people have a need to shove their experiences as 'real' down others throats.
I know to you, my bases are flimsy, because you didn't have them happen you to. I understand that, I respect that, so just putting that out here now.

But I just want to hear others experiences with some of the unexplained they have had happen to them, and if they found a reason for it or not. I await some rather sarcastic comments that may make me roll my eyes with a smile or just flat out laugh. And some that make me think 'wow that is weird'.
RE: Unexplained Events That Happened To You?
(November 19, 2018 at 4:03 am)Jade-Green Stone Wrote: Ever had something happen to you that just baffles the mind and any logic bases you've had?

As an agnostic, I've had a few of these happen to me. Some of them could be chalked up to 'coincidence' but after so many of them, your just like "You know what, that happen, and I'm not going to bother over thinking it."

So, care to share you experiences, sarcastically or truthfully? ((Because lets face it I'm on a forum of atheists. I already know you'll be sarcastic on here, whether I'm asking for less of it or not.))

You all might not agree with me being agnostic, but like I said in my bio. After so much illogical based shit happens to you, your just like. "I have my reasons, they were proof enough for me, so that's good enough for me. You don't have to believe it." Then again, if every religion was like that, this forum wouldn't exist. Because people have a need to shove their experiences as 'real' down others throats.
I know to you, my bases are flimsy, because you didn't have them happen you to. I understand that, I respect that, so just putting that out here now.

But I just want to hear others experiences with some of the unexplained they have had happen to them, and if they found a reason for it or not. I await some rather sarcastic comments that may make me roll my eyes with a smile or just flat out laugh. And some that make me think 'wow that is weird'.

Coincidences can happen easily in a wide universe like this. It's a bizarre world even given naturalism, so why not bizarre and remarkable coincidences and experiences.

I've had weird experiences so I'm not trying to be unempathetic here.
(November 19, 2018 at 4:03 am)Jade-Green Stone Wrote: Ever had something happen to you that just baffles the mind and any logic bases you've had?

Galileo thought alchemy was foolish, so he rejected the alchemical concept of "action at a distance." This caused him to dismiss all the evidence that the moon affected the tides, and he missed his chance to discover something big. Isaac Newton took alchemy seriously, and got us all to accept "action at a distance" by renaming it "gravity." 

So I think you are wise to keep an open mind. 

You are also braver than I am, because although I have had one big strange experience, I am too shy to talk about it on a forum like this. 

Good topic, though.
I got married.

The hell if I can explain it.

Of course I still did a fair amount of recreational drugs back then.
You know Carl Sagan had a very interesting take on coincidences and how it leads into people inro creating a make-belief and then later whole industries like parapsychology, religion and what not in his book "Broca's Brain"

Quote:Many years ago I awoke in the dead of night in a cold sweat, with the certain knowledge that a close relative had suddenly died. I was so gripped with the haunting intensity of the experience that I was afraid to place a long-distance phone call, for fear that the relative would trip over the telephone cord (or something) and make the experience a self-fulfilling prophecy. In fact, the relative is alive and well, and whatever psychological roots the experience, may have, it was not a reflection of an imminent event in the real world.

However, suppose the relative had in fact died that night. You would have had a difficult time convincing me that it was merely coincidence. But it is easy to calculate that if each American has such a premonitory experience a few times in his lifetime, the actuarial statistics alone will produce a few apparent precognitive events somewhere in America each year. We can calculate that this must occur fairly frequently, but to the rare person who dreams of disaster, followed rapidly by its realization, it is uncanny and awesome. Such a coincidence must happen to someone every few months. But those who experience a correct precognition understandably resist its explanation by coincidence.

After my experience I did not write a letter to an institute of parapsychology relating a compelling predictive dream which was not borne out by reality. That is not a memorable letter. But had the death I dreamed actually occurred, such a letter would have been marked down as evidence for precognition. The hits are recorded, the misses are not. Thus human nature unconsciously conspires to produce a biased reporting of the frequency of such events.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(November 19, 2018 at 5:20 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: You know Carl Sagan had a very interesting take on coincidences and how it leads into people inro creating a make-belief and then later whole industries like parapsychology, religion and what not in his book "Broca's Brain"

Quote:Many years ago I awoke in the dead of night in a cold sweat, with the certain knowledge that a close relative had suddenly died. I was so gripped with the haunting intensity of the experience that I was afraid to place a long-distance phone call, for fear that the relative would trip over the telephone cord (or something) and make the experience a self-fulfilling prophecy. In fact, the relative is alive and well, and whatever psychological roots the experience, may have, it was not a reflection of an imminent event in the real world.

However, suppose the relative had in fact died that night. You would have had a difficult time convincing me that it was merely coincidence. But it is easy to calculate that if each American has such a premonitory experience a few times in his lifetime, the actuarial statistics alone will produce a few apparent precognitive events somewhere in America each year. We can calculate that this must occur fairly frequently, but to the rare person who dreams of disaster, followed rapidly by its realization, it is uncanny and awesome. Such a coincidence must happen to someone every few months. But those who experience a correct precognition understandably resist its explanation by coincidence.

After my experience I did not write a letter to an institute of parapsychology relating a compelling predictive dream which was not borne out by reality. That is not a memorable letter. But had the death I dreamed actually occurred, such a letter would have been marked down as evidence for precognition. The hits are recorded, the misses are not. Thus human nature unconsciously conspires to produce a biased reporting of the frequency of such events.

Sure, but suppose that the death did happen, and it happened repeatedly (with different individuals). Predictions of sudden death are made by one individual, and 75% of the time, the deaths occur. This would all still be a series of coincidences, but they would be remarkable experiences nonetheless. And there is nothing about this world (from what I can see) that may render this physically impossible, especially if it just so happens that multiple universes may be a thing, and in at least one of these universes even the very improbable may bound to happen.
I was over in Western Australia about 100 kms from Bunbury, sitting by a campfire with a friend in an uninhabited valley and we saw a light in the sky.
The light zig zagged at super speeds right across the night sky, sometimes coming to a halt for a few minutes, then racing off again.
We were very stoned but we both saw the same thing.
It was going on for hours and still going when we went to bed.
I was actually living in an abandoned farm house and whilst I wasn't scared when it happened, I felt quite spooked by it for the next few weeks when I was on my own there.
I have no explanation at all.

Yeh I witnessed a really weird weather related thing.

I was running with my friend and a thin line of rain followeld us down the road. It went past us then came back towards us then disappeared.

I've been on the edge of a rain cloud before but it was just like a cartoon because it was concentrated to such a small area.

It's not that it couldn't be explained, I've just never found out the exact explanation as to what that was. If it was just a very small rain cloud it seems weird I've never seen anything like it before in the 34 years I've been alive.

Another thing I remember is that a saw a huge moth in my kitchen that couldn't have been from where I live.

I tried to show it to my dad but it wasn't there when I brought him in to see it.

It could have been some sort of acid flash back or something I don't know. I wasn't on any drugs at the time but I was doing drugs around this time.
It's really weird because there was nothing else supernatural going on, it was just too big to be from England. I remember doing a double take when I saw it and thinking is this just my imagination. But it was gone when I came back with my dad.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

The best explanation for the "unexplained" is "insufficient data."
Yeah "insufficient data" just reminded me that few days ago I saw something flying in the sky silently. It was actually a white tube, really gliding silently over the blue sky and, to be honest, I was really perplexed and wanted to find out what it was. Fortunatly I had a small binoculars in vicinity. So I looked at it and it turned out it was just a passinger jet, but it was strange because it was flying seemengly very low and yet it made no sound what so ever and with the small binoculars I could even see that it even had a red tail.

Now, if it was some different person that had no binoculars at hand...
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question to atheists about some unexplained concepts arda101 24 2603 January 24, 2017 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  What happened to the witches? Nebuloso 59 19544 January 31, 2012 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Epimethean