Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 8:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GSM has been Cracked
GSM has been Cracked
The world's most popular standard for mobile phone communication (GSM) has been cracked. Security researchers now have the technology to eavesdrop on any target device. I've included a number of links in my write-up article:

http://cryptogasm.com/2011/01/gsm-cracked/
RE: GSM has been Cracked
Good thing I belong to Verizon Wireless. Big Grin
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
How would the attacker get hold of 2 known plain text messages needed to crack the encryption key? Text you and hope you reply with a preformed message?
(January 1, 2011 at 5:40 pm)Chuck Wrote: How would the attacker get hold of 2 known plain text messages needed to crack the encryption key? Text you and hope you reply with a preformed message?
The researchers posted this tutorial: http://srlabs.de/uncategorized/airprobe-how-to/

There is a section on how to find the plaintext/ciphertext pairings:
Quote:Usually capture some calls of your own phone where you know the Kc (it can be read from the SIM or displayed by the Engineering Mode Screen of some phones) and look for known-plain-text candidates. An example are "SYSTEM INFORMATION 5/6/5ter" in the SACCH or "LAPDM U, func=UI" frames. Also keep in mind that there could be wrong bits in a burst due to distortion.
And here I've been proceeding all these years under the impression that my texts and voice communications were already compromised by the federal government. Oh well, no loss.
Every cell phone tower in the Netherlands has been prepared for listening in on phone conversations by the AIVD. Before 2001, the Netherlands had the largest absolute number of wiretaps in the world. I was always under the impression the same was possible with text messages to be honest.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(January 2, 2011 at 2:24 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: And here I've been proceeding all these years under the impression that my texts and voice communications were already compromised by the federal government. Oh well, no loss.

I kinda giggled Big Grin
The cracking of GSM “encryption” has been making the inter-rounds lately, and this week on the Security Now! Podcast, Steve Gibson takes a look at how badly it’s broken, and what the potential risks are. In simple terms, it means what you say on your iPhone — or any GSM phone, which includes all phones on AT&T, T-Mobile, Rogers, and almost all phones internationally — can be intercepted, decrypted, and listened to if a person has several thousand dollars worth of equipment and the motivation to do it.
Great. We better start passing notes to each other again like we did in grade school. Then burn the evidence. Big Grin
(July 14, 2011 at 8:25 am)williamjacob Wrote: The cracking of GSM “encryption” has been making the inter-rounds lately, and this week on the Security Now! Podcast, Steve Gibson takes a look at how badly it’s broken, and what the potential risks are. In simple terms, it means what you say on your iPhone — or any GSM phone, which includes all phones on AT&T, T-Mobile, Rogers, and almost all phones internationally — can be intercepted, decrypted, and listened to if a person has several thousand dollars worth of equipment and the motivation to do it.

Nice thread necromancy, bot.

EDIT: Wow that was a fast banning.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal