Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 3:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weaponizing Fashion (Bannon, Cambridge Analytica talk)
Weaponizing Fashion (Bannon, Cambridge Analytica talk)
I have to say, hearing an obvious gay man talking about his work with DARPA, with Steve Bannon and other forces of harm, and talking about hybrid weaponization in the context of fashion, was surprisingly interesting. A very well-organized and lucid discussion, IMO.

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/ch...index.html Wrote:Fashion is a powerful tool. Covering our bodies in clothes or adornments is an almost universal behavior, and how you dress is one of the most obvious indicators of who you are.
Show me a list of people, and the fashion brands they buy from or engage with, and I could easily produce a series of assumptions about each one. I might make an educated guess about their spending power, or how fashion-conscious they are (or aren't). I might even be able to give you a sense of their character -- at least, I'd feel fairly confident distinguishing the peacocks from the shrinking violets.
The future of fashion: Complex, diverse, and more vocal than ever
Speaking at The Business of Fashion's Voices conference in the UK on Thursday, data analyst and Cambridge Analytica whistleblower Christopher Wylie took this relatively simple idea to its worrying but logical extension: Like any tool, he said, fashion can become a weapon in the wrong hands.
"Fashion data was used to build AI models to help Steve Bannon build his insurgency and build the alt-right," he told the conference. "We used weaponized algorithms. We used weaponized cultural narratives to undermine people and undermine the perception of reality. And fashion played a big part in that."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2420 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  Let's talk Parental Leave Cecelia 10 1026 October 17, 2021 at 8:25 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  What Do Republicunts Talk About Behind Closed Doors? Minimalist 3 518 August 9, 2018 at 2:02 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Never before seen footage of Trump and Bannon NuclearEnergy 1 985 May 16, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Steve Bannon gone as chief strategist in NSC shakeup c172 5 1918 April 5, 2017 at 11:37 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Can we talk about Trump's war on the scientific community? Aegon 44 5500 January 30, 2017 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: John V
  Let's talk about drugs Aegon 86 10192 September 4, 2016 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Regina
  Lets Talk About Citizens United Heywood 30 5427 November 7, 2014 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  TED - Edward Snowden talk and NSA's reply pocaracas 0 691 March 21, 2014 at 7:18 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  With All The Talk About Texas.... Minimalist 13 2903 January 21, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious