Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worth repeating, we're not a separate species
Worth repeating, we're not a separate species
I am admittedly using this website as a notepad. I am writing something many here have read before in my position with different words. But sometimes I want to spread this message to other social media, and news orgs. By using this as a notepad, I can copy the link and spread it. 

I do rail against religion, but all religions equally. But not in the context most want to think. I will 100% ALWAYS BE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS. I think most humans ARE GOOD. I will ALWAYS value my species POTENTIAL to be compassionate and non violent, we are all capable of that. But, I also value the ability to criticize and blaspheme bad claims. I have said it many times before. I love my late mother, she was a lifetime Catholic, I left that religious sect long ago. I still love her, but I simply ditched the idea of a cosmic super hero. To me when any religious person makes a claim based on the nature of reality, it is like someone you like or love saying, "The Chicago Cubs beat the Philadelphia Eagles in the NHL Stanley Cup". I may love you, and I wont have you arrested or murdered for making such a claim, But if you kept repeating that on a daily basis, it would irritate me to the point of wanting to correct you.

There is no forever for our species, much less our individual cognition. The prospect of accepting that to most is frightening, but should not be. I still find good in the now, with no fear of an afterlife punishment anymore than I fear punishment before I was born. It is a romantic notion that those we love will meet again after we die, but that simply is not the case in reality. Our morality of love, compassion, companionship is not divinely handed down to us, but in our evolution. Every Christian, every Hindu, Every Buddhist, every Jew, every Muslim and every atheist, all have it in them if they choose, to see humanity for what we are, all the same species.

There is not one nation, friend or foe alike, that does not have hospitals or prisons. Our species morality, in our desire to get along and live without fear of harm, is not magic, not handed down to our species. The ride ending is a matter of fact, not just for the individual, but for our entire species, our entire planet and our sun as well. Instead of humans fearing the ride ending, and filling the gap with superstition and mythology, I think it would be far more useful for humanity to focus on our ability to cure, to reduce violence, increase stability, than to focus on our own personal tribalism. If our species never questioned social norms, our species never would have left the caves.
RE: Worth repeating, we're not a separate species
(December 6, 2018 at 3:53 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I am admittedly using this website as a notepad. I am writing something many here have read before in my position with different words. But sometimes I want to spread this message to other social media, and news orgs. By using this as a notepad, I can copy the link and spread it. 

I do rail against religion, but all religions equally. But not in the context most want to think. I will 100% ALWAYS BE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS. I think most humans ARE GOOD. I will ALWAYS value my species POTENTIAL to be compassionate and non violent, we are all capable of that. But, I also value the ability to criticize and blaspheme bad claims. I have said it many times before. I love my late mother, she was a lifetime Catholic, I left that religious sect long ago. I still love her, but I simply ditched the idea of a cosmic super hero. To me when any religious person makes a claim based on the nature of reality, it is like someone you like or love saying, "The Chicago Cubs beat the Philadelphia Eagles in the NHL Stanley Cup". I may love you, and I wont have you arrested or murdered for making such a claim, But if you kept repeating that on a daily basis, it would irritate me to the point of wanting to correct you.

There is no forever for our species, much less our individual cognition. The prospect of accepting that to most is frightening, but should not be. I still find good in the now, with no fear of an afterlife punishment anymore than I fear punishment before I was born. It is a romantic notion that those we love will meet again after we die, but that simply is not the case in reality. Our morality of love, compassion, companionship is not divinely handed down to us, but in our evolution. Every Christian, every Hindu, Every Buddhist, every Jew, every Muslim and every atheist, all have it in them if they choose, to see humanity for what we are, all the same species.

There is not one nation, friend or foe alike, that does not have hospitals or prisons. Our species morality, in our desire to get along and live without fear of harm, is not magic, not handed down to our species. The ride ending is a matter of fact, not just for the individual, but for our entire species, our entire planet and our sun as well. Instead of humans fearing the ride ending, and filling the gap with superstition and mythology, I think it would be far more useful for humanity to focus on our ability to cure, to reduce violence, increase stability, than to focus on our own personal tribalism. If our species never questioned social norms, our species never would have left the caves.

I don’t disagree with the body of your post, but I’m going to quibble with your title: we ARE a seperate species. All species are seperate, by definition.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Worth repeating, we're not a separate species
(December 6, 2018 at 6:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 6, 2018 at 3:53 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I am admittedly using this website as a notepad. I am writing something many here have read before in my position with different words. But sometimes I want to spread this message to other social media, and news orgs. By using this as a notepad, I can copy the link and spread it. 

I don’t disagree with the body of your post, but I’m going to quibble with your title: we ARE a seperate species. All species are seperate, by definition.

Boru

You got me, you are not an ABBA fan, so worthy of sticking in an oven. Hmph Razz Popcorn Hungry Truce Read Naughty Hehe

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why war happens in our species........ Brian37 21 3262 May 1, 2016 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: account_inactive