Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musings on monotheism.
Musings on monotheism.
http://indyblogs.typepad.com/openhouse/2...-mono.html

Johann Hari Wrote:It’s when you look at the birth-pangs of a religion that you can see most clearly how it was invented not by some mystical "God", but by human beings – usually for cynical reasons.

Interesting article, particularly the part about Akhenaten and scientology. I knew Akhenaten was the first recorded monotheist, worshipping Aten. What I didn't know he actively disbanded the Amun-Re religion/cult.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: Musings on monotheism.
Good read. Though I wish it had discussed the origins or Christianity more.
Unfortunately, I know no Scientologists to debate with.
RE: Musings on monotheism.
Interesting though I think he takes too cynical a view of Hubbard's earlier actions ... my understanding is that he invented a religion for a science fiction story along with many other author's at the time (The Golden Age Of Science Fiction) and found that some people were dumb enough to think it was real. Hubbard wasn't a very good writer (I read some of his stuff at the time, it was pants) so he turned to the scam as a money making venture ... he has subsequently *written* one book, "Battlefield Earth" which, whilst not particularly well written, is classic space opera and from that POV quite good (I've read it several times and I said "written" in quotes because I find it difficult to believe Hubbard actually wrote it .. think someone else did under his name).

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator