Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hemispherectomy?
Hemispherectomy?
This is the procedure where they remove half your brain as a last resort in order to stop seizures. Usually in very young kids only while the brain is plastic enough to adapt and compensate.

Let's say they perfect spinal cord connection operations sometime in the near future. I go to some seedy Korean basement and get half my brain carefully removed and inserted in a "fresh" coma victim who's body mysteriously disappeared from the hospital. Why not? I want to try to live forever? Each to their own.

Now, let's just gloss over the technical logistics for the sake of brevity. (This is in the "philosophy" section.) Big Grin

Now let's discuss who is me and why. And what does "me" even mean? Theists, do we both have a "full" soul each? Dunno
Or does the soul live in the heart? (Clueless atheist does not know where the Holy supernatural divine stuff get installed in the human body)

[/Serious]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Hemispherectomy?
At work.

Well.... from the reports of the operation where they sever the nerve bundle that connects the left helisphere from the right, there seemes to be two different 'Personalities' that emerge.

So, perhaps, there would be two subtly different 'New' personalities emerge over time?
As an aside, is being left handed or right handed just as much muscle memory as it is cognitive?

What about stored memories?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Brain is simply a transceiver. Consciousness is external.
I have my own personal theory about the nature of the self, but given that it's wholly speculation and is more philosophy than neuroscience, I'll spare you the details here. The only thing that I would say is that it is highly unlikely that self can meaningfully be equated to a physical thing, like the body or a part of the brain. Identity is likely a process, a set of dynamic events based upon historical facts associated with the mind and body, and so it's possible to have multiple selves, just as it's possible to partition that history and, build on it without reference to other dynamic sets that constitute selves, and therefore can function and grow independently. My view is consistent with this, but is both more and less detailed.

(December 14, 2018 at 4:20 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote: Brain is simply a transceiver. Consciousness is external.

Got any, whachamacallit... evidence?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 14, 2018 at 4:20 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(December 14, 2018 at 4:20 am)Dmitry1983 Wrote: Brain is simply a transceiver. Consciousness is external.

Got any, whachamacallit... evidence?

There is no scientific evidence of consciousness so my claim is just as correct as physicalists' claim that mind is created by brain.
Let me guess. The transceiving signal is undetectable by science?

If I lock myself in a 100 foot thick lead lined vault 5 kilometers under ground ... Will I be unconscious? Why not?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mind
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-world...rpretation
Quote:Another speculation is that the separate worlds remain weakly coupled (e.g., by gravity) permitting "communication between parallel universes".

You're not a sock of Drich by any chance?
Dmitry, it's good to explore other exotic theories of our reality but don't you think it's a good idea to have a good solid understanding of the one you're in first Dunno
baby steps in the shallow end first...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.