Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank Atheism.
Thank Atheism.
There have been times when I was a little envious of people with religious beliefs.  Which, in turn kind of made me feel guilty---like that bit of envy itself made me a bad atheist.  But to be more specific, that envy came at times when someone they loved died and they found comfort in their genuine belief that the person was "in a better place,"  "called to be with Jesus,"  "at peace now,"  or, as my brother's obituary said, "in heaven now, where clothing is optional."

My brother was a good man.  He led a good life.  He was kind, loving, (mostly) patient, (insert other positive accolades here).  A Christian. The kind of man who led the kind of life that Christians believe would surely go to heaven.  But in one outrageously stupid instant of what can only be described as momentary insanity, he shot himself dead.  While several members of my family (particularly the Fundamental Southern Baptist versions) have an ongoing struggle with anguishing over the belief that, despite him being a good man who led a good life....  he has committed an unforgivable "sin against god,"  the kind that means he now burns in hell for all eternity.  What kind of comfort is that?  If religion can't comfort them now, what possible good is it?

Me, for the first time, I am finding "comfort" in my atheism.  I know that there is no "eternal after life."  That THIS is all there is.  His was a life well lived.  Cut too short, but well lived.  And now there is.....nothingness.  It's just....done.  Gone.  And that is a great deal better than any belief that he is now being punished by burning in hell for one random stupid unforgivable moment. 

Thank Nothing.   Worship
Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
RE: Thank Atheism.
When the bible was written, people (slaves?) weren't to escape their living hell by taking their own lives, so they put that clause in, I'm imagining. But it does server a good purpose today, despite it being for all the wrong reasons...

We only get one chance ... why cut it short when we're going to be non existent for eternity Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
All too often suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Given the above I have known people who were completely justified in ending their lives.
We're all somewhat helpless in the face of the great unknown. I'm glad that you have found some peace amidst all this. (Try not to pay me any mind. I'm a little drunk.)
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I don't know what to say, other than that they're wrong that it's unforgivable.