Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Horizons Ultima Thule Flyby
New Horizons Ultima Thule Flyby
The New Horizons probe made its flyby of the Kuiper Belt object Ultima Thule last night. The initial telemetry data received 6 plus hours later indicates everything went as planned. We should be getting the initial images later today. It is going to take about a year to downlink all the data. It takes a while at 1 kilobit per second.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
RE: New Horizons Ultima Thule Flyby
So far, best evidence still show Ultima Thule is a highly elongated object. Since it is unlikely the elongated object is rotationally symmetrical about its actual axis of rotation, or its rotational axis is stable and pointed directly at Pluto express, Its peculiar lack of rotational light curve remains unexplained.
(January 1, 2019 at 12:31 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: The New Horizons probe made its flyby of the Kuiper Belt object Ultima Thule last night. The initial telemetry data received 6 plus hours later indicates everything went as planned. We should be getting the initial images later today. It is going to take about a year to downlink all the data. It takes a while at 1 kilobit per second.
NASA should update their modem!

Hehe
'Ultima Thule' sounds like one of those sorcerers Conan the Barbarian was always having trouble with.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
And now for the music Brian May recorded for such an occasion:

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Nice work by everyone involve! Smile
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(January 1, 2019 at 1:06 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(January 1, 2019 at 12:31 pm)popeyespappy Wrote: The New Horizons probe made its flyby of the Kuiper Belt object Ultima Thule last night. The initial telemetry data received 6 plus hours later indicates everything went as planned. We should be getting the initial images later today. It is going to take about a year to downlink all the data. It takes a while at 1 kilobit per second.

Hehe

Let’s see how well your modem does from 6 billion miles away.
(January 1, 2019 at 2:25 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote:
(January 1, 2019 at 1:06 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: NASA should update their modem!

Hehe

Let’s see how well your modem does from 6 billion miles away.

What's six light hours among friends.
(January 1, 2019 at 1:06 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:

Hehe

one-thousand-bits every second over several billion miles (ca. 6 light-hours!), sent with the power equal to a refidgerator lightbulb. I have had modems worse than that. Dodgy
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Meh, I've seen pixels before. Not that excited by these ones.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ultima imaged !!! vorlon13 1 462 September 9, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Cassini makes final Rhea flyby popeyespappy 0 1143 March 17, 2013 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy