Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 11:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How d'you do?
Exclamation 
How d'you do?
*Tips hat*
I'm a Christian theist here for some rational discussion about atheistic worldviews. A fan of logical argument, chess, crazy music (see name/avatar), reading philosophy and Biblical studies, duck confit, and other niceties. A Brit, a fiancé, an INTJ, a theistic evolutionist.

Look forward to meeting you.
R

RE: How d'you do?
Good to meet you as well. Hope you feel at home here.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Welcome along. As long as you accept evolution, even if you do think it is part of God's plan, you're alright by me Big Grin
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Darwinian Wrote:Welcome along. As long as you accept evolution, even if you do think it is part of God's plan, you're alright by me Big Grin

Really is that all it takes?Big Grin

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

downbeatplumb Wrote:
Darwinian Wrote:Welcome along. As long as you accept evolution, even if you do think it is part of God's plan, you're alright by me Big Grin

Really is that all it takes?Big Grin

Yes. As long as people can accept the reality around them, they can garnish it with whatever they like Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Darwinian Wrote:Yes. As long as people can accept the reality around them, they can garnish it with whatever they like Great
I was worried that my belief that gang-rape is a fun recreational activity wouldn't go down so well, but now you've set me at ease. Thanks, Darwinian!
Relayer Wrote:I was worried that my belief that gang-rape is a fun recreational activity wouldn't go down so well, but now you've set me at ease. Thanks, Darwinian!
Hmm.
I'm sorry to disappoint you but few if any people here believe that gang rape is an acceptable past-time.

What are your beliefs, exactly?
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
Relayer Wrote:
Darwinian Wrote:Yes. As long as people can accept the reality around them, they can garnish it with whatever they like Great
I was worried that my belief that gang-rape is a fun recreational activity wouldn't go down so well, but now you've set me at ease. Thanks, Darwinian!

Oh dear lord, we've got one with a sense of humor.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote:Hmm.
I'm sorry to disappoint you but few if any people here believe that gang rape is an acceptable past-time.
Apologies TDOA, downbeatplum and I were taking Darwinian's hyperbole literally for funsies.

Quote:What are your beliefs, exactly?
Christian theism: it does what it says on the tin.

Relayer Wrote:Apologies TDOA, downbeatplum and I were taking your hyperbole literally for funsies.
No problem. I just get a little worried because some people have said things like that and actually meant it. No worries. Big Grin