Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 8:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CO2 concentrations reach their highest level in the modern era.
CO2 concentrations reach their highest level in the modern era.
It happened on January 12, 2019 with a peak of 413.45 ppm:

Daily CO2 now
RE: CO2 concentrations reach their highest level in the modern era.
(January 19, 2019 at 7:50 am)Jehanne Wrote: It happened on January 12, 2019 with a peak of 413.45 ppm:

Daily CO2 now

The sawtooth pattern of the increase of CO₂ in the atmosphere since 1958 is called the Keeling Curve. CO₂ varies about 8 ppm on a seasonal cycle, due to deciduous trees taking up CO₂ in the spring and releasing it in the fall in the northern hemisphere.

In other words, the winter peaks are not representative of the average for the whole year. I'm not sure what the average is right now, but it's somewhere above 405 ppm anyway.

The average is increasing about 2.5 ppm per year. Since 450 ppm will lead to 2 degrees C of warming over the preindustrial, we have less than 20 years of business-as-usual burning of fossil fuels before critical positive feedback loops kick in in big ways.
(January 19, 2019 at 8:43 am)Thoreauvian Wrote:
(January 19, 2019 at 7:50 am)Jehanne Wrote: It happened on January 12, 2019 with a peak of 413.45 ppm:

Daily CO2 now

The sawtooth pattern of the increase of CO₂ in the atmosphere since 1958 is called the Keeling Curve. CO₂ varies about 8 ppm on a seasonal cycle, due to deciduous trees taking up CO₂ in the spring and releasing it in the fall in the northern hemisphere.

In other words, the winter peaks are not representative of the average for the whole year.  I'm not sure what the average is right now, but it's somewhere above 405 ppm anyway.

The average is increasing about 2.5 ppm per year.  Since 450 ppm will lead to 2 degrees C of warming over the preindustrial, we have less than 20 years of business-as-usual burning of fossil fuels before critical positive feedback loops kick in in big ways.

Look at the data more closely, if you would; CO2 levels worldwide typically peak around April or May, which means that the recent high here in January will be broken.
(January 19, 2019 at 10:08 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 19, 2019 at 8:43 am)Thoreauvian Wrote: The sawtooth pattern of the increase of CO₂ in the atmosphere since 1958 is called the Keeling Curve. CO₂ varies about 8 ppm on a seasonal cycle, due to deciduous trees taking up CO₂ in the spring and releasing it in the fall in the northern hemisphere.

In other words, the winter peaks are not representative of the average for the whole year.  I'm not sure what the average is right now, but it's somewhere above 405 ppm anyway.

The average is increasing about 2.5 ppm per year.  Since 450 ppm will lead to 2 degrees C of warming over the preindustrial, we have less than 20 years of business-as-usual burning of fossil fuels before critical positive feedback loops kick in in big ways.

Look at the data more closely, if you would; CO2 levels worldwide typically peak around April or May, which means that the recent high here in January will be broken.

I think that Thor was just rounding out your post with a little more information since your post was about a single data point. No one disputes that carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has been rising on average. A single data point in January is not enough to predict a higher average measure in April or May.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
(January 19, 2019 at 10:28 am)Yonadav Wrote:
(January 19, 2019 at 10:08 am)Jehanne Wrote: Look at the data more closely, if you would; CO2 levels worldwide typically peak around April or May, which means that the recent high here in January will be broken.

I think that Thor was just rounding out your post with a little more information since your post was about a single data point. No one disputes that carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has been rising on average. A single data point in January is not enough to predict a higher average measure in April or May.

It's a milestone, one that will be broken come April or May, if not sooner.  That was the purpose of my OP; note how Donald Trump has completely ignored this very important milestone (at least until next year or the year after) in human history.
(January 19, 2019 at 10:08 am)Jehanne Wrote: Look at the data more closely, if you would; CO2 levels worldwide typically peak around April or May, which means that the recent high here in January will be broken.

I didn't know CO₂ peaked in May. Thanks for the information.
(January 19, 2019 at 11:08 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 19, 2019 at 10:28 am)Yonadav Wrote: I think that Thor was just rounding out your post with a little more information since your post was about a single data point. No one disputes that carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has been rising on average. A single data point in January is not enough to predict a higher average measure in April or May.

It's a milestone, one that will be broken come April or May, if not sooner.  That was the purpose of my OP; note how Donald Trump has completely ignored this very important milestone (at least until next year or the year after) in human history.

I don't know if it will be broken in April or May. It might be. On average, carbon dioxide is certainly going up.
(January 19, 2019 at 11:36 am)Yonadav Wrote:
(January 19, 2019 at 11:08 am)Jehanne Wrote: It's a milestone, one that will be broken come April or May, if not sooner.  That was the purpose of my OP; note how Donald Trump has completely ignored this very important milestone (at least until next year or the year after) in human history.

I don't know if it will be broken in April or May. It might be. On average, carbon dioxide is certainly going up.

I would be willing to bet $100.
(January 19, 2019 at 11:54 am)Jehanne Wrote:
(January 19, 2019 at 11:36 am)Yonadav Wrote: I don't know if it will be broken in April or May. It might be. On average, carbon dioxide is certainly going up.

I would be willing to bet $100.

I would not be willing to bet on it. I don't know the odds.
(January 19, 2019 at 12:07 pm)Yonadav Wrote:
(January 19, 2019 at 11:54 am)Jehanne Wrote: I would be willing to bet $100.

I would not be willing to bet on it. I don't know the odds.

I would, but one and only 1 time.  Board rules, however, probably forbid this type of "gambling".

Angel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do W Bosons get Their Mass from the Higgs Field? Rhondazvous 2 808 February 18, 2018 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Quick Fix to CO2 and oil problems? Fake Messiah 10 1863 September 10, 2015 at 12:13 am
Last Post: thehedglin
  An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics - Carroll & Ostlie TubbyTubby 11 5693 March 4, 2015 at 7:00 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Whats the point of modern science? The_Thinking_Theist 64 11393 February 16, 2014 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda