Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NOT SERIOUS] But wondering....
[NOT SERIOUS] But wondering....
Every so often in marketing of cars I see ads where they have a "rating company" like "J.D. Power" quoting them in saying things like "best in initial quality"?

Pardon me but what the fuck does "initial quality" mean? Does that mean it feels like  fellatio or cunnilingus on the lot but the axles pop off as soon as you go over a bump, or the paint peals off in a day?
RE: [NOT SERIOUS] But wondering....
Wikipedia Wrote:J.D. Power conducts multiple annual surveys of the automotive industry in the U.S. as well as in other countries. The Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) is a measure of problems experienced after three years of ownership, while the Initial Quality Study (IQS) is a measure of problems experienced within the first 90 days of ownership
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
It means exactly nothing.

Just like a politician who says he represents ALL his constituents.
Just fancy words to jack of the price of the car.

Like mattresses, just putting random phases on them to add money to the price.
(January 25, 2019 at 8:49 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote:
Wikipedia Wrote:J.D. Power conducts multiple annual surveys of the automotive industry in the U.S. as well as in other countries. The Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) is a measure of problems experienced after three years of ownership, while the Initial Quality Study (IQS) is a measure of problems experienced within the first 90 days of ownership

Fine, but still!

I am sorry but they need to find a better terminology than "initial quality".  Cars are not cheap, even the cheap compact ones are not cheap. It still strikes me as "Yea looks good in the showroom, but after you drive it off the lot in 90 days we don't give a fuck".

How about something like, "Best in long term durability/reliability"?

(January 25, 2019 at 8:54 pm)Jade-Green Stone Wrote: Just fancy words to jack of the price of the car.

Like mattresses, just putting random phases on them to add money to the price.

^^^^^ BINGO!
[Image: miDyES3.jpg]

...are coming...

Faints

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(January 26, 2019 at 2:56 pm)arewethereyet Wrote: [Image: miDyES3.jpg]

...are coming...

Faints

I don't mind amusing ads, but the OP was about ads that are supposed to be serious but beg the question. "initial" is a word that conveys short term, doesn't make sense to use that word when people make car payments for years. 

Things like " 5 or 10 year warranty" would grab my attention far quicker. 

But doesn't matter the product, serious or using humor, marketing works otherwise nothing would sell.

I've also for a long time, in all seriousness, hated the marketing of cars when they use months instead of years. It is deliberate because months sound shorter than years. I bet they'd sell less cars if they were forced to just put years.
They just do it all to satisfy your desperate need to be constantly offended.
We do not inherit the world from our parents. We borrow it from our children.
Brian's offended boner can be seen from the capitol beltway.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(January 26, 2019 at 4:35 pm)Yonadav Wrote: They just do it all to satisfy your desperate need to be constantly offended.

You mean like flipping out over coffee cups without a cross on them? Thanks for the lecture.

Roger Stone made it to custody, the court and made bail without dying. Sandra Bland died in custody over a traffic stop.

And the worst part of your ignorance here is that you don't get sarcasm.

My pointing out word usage in a mere commercial is not a matter of national security no. But your reaction to my posts demonstrates unfortunately how many humans lack a sense of humor, nor have their priorities in order.

(January 26, 2019 at 4:40 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Brian's offended boner can be seen from the capitol beltway.

Absolutely. 

Funny thing, still is a huge difference between blasphemy, criticism, humor. Just don't pick on ABBA and everything will be fine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's not that I don't like you but........ brewer 13 540 March 12, 2024 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  A Serious Thread. Seriously? onlinebiker 12 1205 May 9, 2022 at 8:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Been wondering what the boyfriend looks like? Foxaèr 8 690 January 14, 2022 at 11:43 am
Last Post: johnnyy
  Vincent who? Are you serious! ignoramus 9 2126 July 6, 2021 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  [Serious] SERIOUS POST, Hillbilly Atheist has COVID. Brian37 50 2903 January 8, 2021 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: Hillbillyatheist
  Not going to swear to it as of yet. but. Brian37 33 2273 June 19, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Not that I ever will again, but.... Brian37 40 2723 April 8, 2020 at 11:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  [Not Serious]Pick one, then post the next selection. Gawdzilla Sama 64 2631 October 18, 2019 at 8:07 pm
  Uselss skills/qualifications! (#2) [NOT SUPER SERIOUS] ignoramus 44 2030 May 2, 2019 at 8:56 am
  Pranks you have pulled, but would not now. Brian37 19 1037 February 21, 2019 at 9:58 am
Last Post: GrandizerII