Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorable shareware?
Memorable shareware?
If you didn't get into computing early you probably don't remember shareware archives like the one at WUSTL. Free software and worth every penny!

My absolute favorite from that period was Tetris. No. 1 for homework avoidance.
RE: Memorable shareware?
Not sure if all the old Apple games are officially shareware now or not, but Robot Odyssey-- best game ever made, IMO.
there was an apple IIe game that put you on an alien planet with a futuristic chemistry set with fake chemicals and you had to mix together various things to solve a problem like you were at a steep cliff and needed to make it to the other side so you would mix rubberium and airium and make a hot air balloon... or in a dense jungle and mix animal-ium and machine-ium to make a "bull dozer." Does anyone remember that one?

I remember playing that once ( it was reserved for the kids who finished their tests earliy or was first finished reading or the like) I got to play it for a few mins while waiting for my dad to show up for a parent teacher conference. can remember the name of that game.
(February 15, 2019 at 11:32 am)bennyboy Wrote: Not sure if all the old Apple games are officially shareware now or not, but Robot Odyssey-- best game ever made, IMO.

Life of creator +75 years to pass into public domain.
IIRC. Unless Congress extenda it for Disney again.
Shocked 
The early iD games were good - Wolfenstein and Doom. The first of three episodes in each were shareware, and were complete games in their own right. IIRC the complete boxed games were about $20 and available only mail order. At the time they were pretty innovative shooters.

Duke Nukem was another in the genre that was innovative and had substantial free content.
Didn't Doom invent the 3D engine?
No, Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny did rudimentary 3D earlier. Probably others too.