Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump admin to decriminalize homosexuality
Trump admin to decriminalize homosexuality
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nationa...d_nn_tw_ma

So I'm not sure if that has been posted yet, but the Trump administration is apparently planning to launch a global effort to decriminalize homosexuality in countries around the world. This is a strange turn of events considering how much the Trump administration has seemed to combat LGBT rights in the past, especially with the trans troop ban and the countless other times he's gone against the LGBT community.

Obviously, he's gotten some backlash from GLAAD and other organizations in reaction to the announcement of this campaign. The details are still being worked out but supposedly the administration is going to work with the UN on this.

Quote:Although the decriminalization strategy is still being hashed out, officials say it’s likely to include working with global organizations like the United Nations, the European Union and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, as well as other countries whose laws already allow for gay rights. Other U.S. embassies and diplomatic posts throughout Europe, including the U.S. Mission to the E.U., are involved, as is the State Department’s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor.

What do you guys think? Obviously, I'm very, very suspicious of the intentions here - it just looks like Trump is using LGBT people to garner support for 2020. But honestly? If there is legitimate action taken in countries like Sudan where you can be killed for being gay, I'm not really concerned with Trump or his administration's intentions. If real action is taken and people's lives are saved, or if LGBT people are simply given a better quality of life through this initiative, I don't care what the intentions behind the campaign are.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
RE: Trump admin to decriminalize homosexuality

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
I think it's important we have conversations and not just post 14-second clips that people are supposed to infer some vague meaning from. What is your point in posting this short clip and what's your opinion on the matter? Let's use words.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
Frankly, I can't see anyone who's paying attention to trusting the administration in this. That being said, if this produces change I'll give them due credit. I can't see his base liking it much.

I don't see it happening.
(February 21, 2019 at 12:15 am)Jackalope Wrote: Frankly, I can't see anyone who's paying attention to trusting the administration in this. That being said, if this produces change I'll give them due credit.  I can't see his base liking it much.

I'm right there with you. I am suspicious of the admin's intentions and honestly, am skeptical as to whether it will even happen or not. But like I said, if something does come of it, I'm cool with it, regardless of their intentions.
(February 21, 2019 at 12:35 am)PRJA93 Wrote:
(February 21, 2019 at 12:15 am)Jackalope Wrote: Frankly, I can't see anyone who's paying attention to trusting the administration in this. That being said, if this produces change I'll give them due credit.  I can't see his base liking it much.

I'm right there with you. I am suspicious of the admin's intentions and honestly, am skeptical as to whether it will even happen or not. But like I said, if something does come of it, I'm cool with it, regardless of their intentions.

Contrrawise, if they claim to intend to do the shitty thing, I believe them. Yeah, I'm biased, but history seems to be bearing that out.

I think Donald is suffering from delusions of adequacy.

The bloody messiah complex. Why doesn't he just mind is own fucking business.

Some years ago, an American relative said to me "You must remember to always be kind to America. Otherwise we'll bring you democracy"

Seems nothing has changed.  Huh
(February 21, 2019 at 12:43 am)Jackalope Wrote:
(February 21, 2019 at 12:35 am)PRJA93 Wrote: I'm right there with you. I am suspicious of the admin's intentions and honestly, am skeptical as to whether it will even happen or not. But like I said, if something does come of it, I'm cool with it, regardless of their intentions.

Contrrawise, if they claim to intend to do the shitty thing, I believe them.  Yeah, I'm biased, but history seems to be bearing that out.

Eh, given their track record, I don't think it's unwise to be skeptical of any good the Trump admin claims they're going to do. Doesn't mean it can't happen... but my position right now concerning almost anything Trump does is: I'll believe it when I see it.
The administration is upgrading Make America Great Again to, Make America Fabulous Again.
He's going to decriminalize homosexuality, but you'll have to register for a permit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brunei to punish homosexuality by stoning chimp3 18 1259 March 31, 2019 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Homosexuality a natural gift Forsaken 10 1352 January 15, 2015 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris