Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 6:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good Cop/Bad Cop? Nope. All Good.
Good Cop/Bad Cop? Nope. All Good.
Here is what cops should be (and frequently are):

South Hill Batman

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
RE: Good Cop/Bad Cop? Nope. All Good.
Certain people struggle to find one "bad cop" news story a day.
I think many police sign up with the best of intentions. Then many become disillusioned with the idea of helping communities after dealing with the daily realities of handling criminals and other generally unpleasant people 24/7. And we end up with jaded cops who don't give a fuck, at best. I'm not saying that's all police, but it's a good amount of them. There are some great cops out there (I've run into a few myself, luckily for me in some situations) there are probably a great number of jaded assholes, then there are some truly bad cops out there.

It's not fair to paint police with a broad brush of any kind, but the fact is we need reform in the States. Police are not trained well-enough; the process of becoming a police officer is alarmingly easy. Many friends who are police officers tell me that certain precincts will simply take whoever they can get because the pay is low and people simply don't want to be cops because it's a taxing job.

So yea, there are plenty of cops out there that are like this; I don't think anyone denies that. The problem is the ones who are not like this and the ones who don't give a shit.

So, cheers to this guy for being a decent human who happens to be a uniform. Let's get more people like this to sign up for the badge and gun.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
You base your conclusions on the few sensationalist items on the Internet. There are between 800,000 and 1,000,000 police in the US. In that number with regard to ANY group you'll find a few bad actors.
(February 23, 2019 at 7:04 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: You base your conclusions on the few sensationalist items on the Internet. There are between 800,000 and 1,000,000 police in the US. In that number with regard to ANY group you'll find a few bad actors.

Who is this supposed to be a reply to? Use the quote feature; it exists so other members know who your post is direct at. That or the "mention" feature.

Let's be clear and concise in our discussions, including who we're talking to and what we're reacting to.
If you're frightened of dying, and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the Earth.
Or you can fuck right off.
(February 22, 2019 at 10:22 pm)PRJA93 Wrote: I think many police sign up with the best of intentions. Then many become disillusioned with the idea of helping communities after dealing with the daily realities of handling criminals and other generally unpleasant people 24/7. And we end up with jaded cops who don't give a fuck, at best. I'm not saying that's all police, but it's a good amount of them. There are some great cops out there (I've run into a few myself, luckily for me in some situations) there are probably a great number of jaded assholes, then there are some truly bad cops out there.

It's not fair to paint police with a broad brush of any kind, but the fact is we need reform in the States. Police are not trained well-enough; the process of becoming a police officer is alarmingly easy. Many friends who are police officers tell me that certain precincts will simply take whoever they can get because the pay is low and people simply don't want to be cops because it's a taxing job.

So yea, there are plenty of cops out there that are like this; I don't think anyone denies that. The problem is the ones who are not like this and the ones who don't give a shit.

So, cheers to this guy for being a decent human who happens to be a uniform. Let's get more people like this to sign up for the badge and gun.

I don't know, man.  I think it might be like Catholic priests-- sure, many or most of them are probably really nice guys, and totally not pedophiles.  However, if you're a pedophile looking for a job, you probably couldn't imagine a better career path than that.  Also, they are a fairly tight-knit community, so they will protect each other even after they've committed grievous wrongs.

I think there are many very great cops.  However, if I want a job where I can puff up my chest, wave a gun around, and generally be a bully, I'm going to put policing up near the top of my list.

I don't think there's anything to be done about it, though.  It's in the nature of the job itself.
(February 23, 2019 at 7:45 am)bennyboy Wrote:
(February 22, 2019 at 10:22 pm)PRJA93 Wrote: I think many police sign up with the best of intentions. Then many become disillusioned with the idea of helping communities after dealing with the daily realities of handling criminals and other generally unpleasant people 24/7. And we end up with jaded cops who don't give a fuck, at best. I'm not saying that's all police, but it's a good amount of them. There are some great cops out there (I've run into a few myself, luckily for me in some situations) there are probably a great number of jaded assholes, then there are some truly bad cops out there.

I don't know, man.  I think it might be like Catholic priests-- sure, many or most of them are probably really nice guys, and totally not pedophiles.  However, if you're a pedophile looking for a job, you probably couldn't imagine a better career path than that.  Also, they are a fairly tight-knit community, so they will protect each other even after they've committed grievous wrongs.

I think there are many very great cops.  However, if I want a job where I can puff up my chest, wave a gun around, and generally be a bully, I'm going to put policing up near the top of my list.

I don't think there's anything to be done about it, though.  It's in the nature of the job itself.
No, I totally hear you. I just don't know if it's fair to paint police with such a broad brush. There are good and neutral and bad police and in the States police forces absolutely need reform on multiple levels. That being said, we're not talking about "bad apples," here. A bad apple will give you a tummy ache. A bad cop will shoot you to death. So it is a serious issue and should be treated as such.

And there's certainly a good argument for "police culture" being a safe haven for violent sociopathic assholes - I think that's a totally legitimate thing to suggest. It's actually alarming how much they protect their own and refuse to throw bad cops under the bus. It's as if they see the entire world as Cops VS Everybody else. It's scary.
Liberals are subject to the same impulse to make sweeping generalizations as anybody else, they're just more sanctimonious about it.
(February 23, 2019 at 7:32 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Or you can fuck right off.

lol huh? Someone's cranky this morning.

(February 23, 2019 at 7:53 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Liberals are subject to the same impulse to make sweeping generalizations as anybody else, they're just more sanctimonious about it.

Are you going to make an actual point? Or are you just going to keep saying vague shit to avoid actually make a point that can be challenged?

Also, please use the mention feature at least. Let's be clear and concise in who we're talking to and what we're talking about.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are executions making the US look bad? Jehanne 33 1527 May 18, 2022 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  How bad is our economy? (US) Foxaèr 28 1371 March 15, 2022 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Up Bad idea CDC onlinebiker 30 2151 May 15, 2021 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  BREAKING: Muslims confronting ISIS terrorist and save Austrian Wounded Cop. WinterHold 18 1204 November 5, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  If you wonder how bad Detroit hospitals really are? onlinebiker 11 565 October 9, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  POTUS having a really bad day today. Brian37 20 2643 November 20, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  Parkland Rent a Cop Charged. onlinebiker 75 7894 June 11, 2019 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Good riddance to bad rubbish GUBU 9 1024 October 9, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Robert Reich: "We might be heading for a crash as bad as 1929" Aegon 10 1025 September 13, 2018 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  This space for rent: NASA considers ads on spacecraft - good or bad? Angrboda 16 595 September 13, 2018 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah