Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Supporting Secularism?
Supporting Secularism?
Blowing my own trumpet I suppose but I was just curious what people did to support what we are against the ravaging hordes?

Adrian mentioned he gave £10 to the atheist Bus campaign and I believe he founded this site which, with his blog, makes him a financial contributor and an activist I suppose.

I have formed a series of anti-creationist/fundy/theist groups from as far back as 1998 when I first realised the danger that the fundy's represented, I maintain the last two of those (UK Tech Portal and the "Science, Just Science" Campaign as blogs) and I've just started to donate 10% of my eBay earnings (usually used to finance my computer addiction) to Dawkins Foundation For Science And Reason charity (won't be much as a rule but I have some ideas for things I can sell that I'd make it 50%). My greatest success is getting a response from the government on ID in science classes (go me!).

So, what have you done, what can you do? I reckon there's value in raising the things we do even if we only consider it from Dawkins' "Raising Public Conciousness" POV.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Supporting Secularism?
I sponsor the Dutch "Humanistisch Verbond", and the ACA (for their excellent work, as well as the Atheist experience TV show and the Non-Prophets radio podcast). I have been to the protest against "prop. 8" in Amsterdam, but that is about it.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'm as much an activist as a student can be. Where I don't contribute in money, I hope to contribute in ideas and services (such as the blog and forums).
I share Adrian sentiments, I like to help as much as I can, but I'm financially limited.

I do like to present the atheist POV whenever the chance arises and give it a reasonable, aproachable image to those who still use terms like 'infidel' lol

Reagrds

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
I love to talk about it. Generating and distributing ideas are brilliant. When people get talking about things and start taking away knowledge, it does no end of good. But as far as finance is concerned, I wouldn't know where to send my money if I had any Tongue

I recently wrote a letter to the head of my college regarding an issue a lot of my peers are facing with one of his rules. My peers then decided they wanted me to join the student council and continue fighting a good case. Sadly, I have nothing else to passionately fight for on the council, so I declined. My college is secular, and generally a nice place. And as I continue to state in threads, here in Doncaster, people aren't publicly religious, if religious at all. If I were to support secularism, I'd be sending my time and money far from my hometown. That isn't a problem though Big Grin
Money isn't something I have a lot of so I keep very vocal about the subject. I have heard pretty much every religious argument and find it casually easy to refute them. I try to get into the topic with religious friends when I can as well, usually they can do little but, sit there and think as I have a counter for everything they have been taught to say in defence. I of course remain as polite as possible and stay clear that I am not targeting them specifically but, all religions in the world and if they want me to stop, they need only say so and I'll do it.

The cool part is, they never ask me to stop.

I live in Canada so, we're pretty fair here, a lot of people consider religion to be a personal thing and not a topic of discussion. However we are too polite about it, too many of us beleive because we were told too. I have little problem if a person chooses their own religion, looks at the faith without assuming it's automatically true and finds one that they feel is right for them. I do have a problem (a big one) with parents brainwashing their kids into their religion from birth.

So that's me, I'm a verbal supporter fighting the good fight. And of course I hope to one day get noted on the list of famous atheists in technology!
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
I'm barely getting by with what I have so financially I can't do much, but I've instead invested my time by blogging and getting involved with my local atheist group. We'll be doing our own ad campaign, we recorded our first podcast that I just finished editing and will be releasing tonight. Big Grin
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Oh cool! You're gonna link us right?
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
Yeah, all I need to do is set up the RSS feed, I didn't have time yesterday, and we always planned to release it Jan 15th anyway. So when I get home from work around 5pm EST (GMT -5.00 for those in Europe) I'm going to create the feed then I'll post about it here. Big Grin
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(January 14, 2009 at 12:19 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I'm as much an activist as a student can be. Where I don't contribute in money, I hope to contribute in ideas and services (such as the blog and forums).

Here is a story for you regarding possible financial contribution.
Two girls are standing before a fur shop where a a beautiful mink coat is exposed.Says the one " My dream is that one day I"ll wear such a coat but the problem is I cannot afford the price of 10000 dollars".
Says the second one "Look you are such a real shell bomb ,go and find a guy who for you know what will give you the money". "Yes you are right but where is the guy who will pay 10000 dollars for just one number?"
"O.K. then look for two guys ,each of them will pay you 5000 dollars". "It's really an excellent idea but they will never pay so much for just one number"."Yes ,it is a really pitty,but you know what, find four guys ,each of them will pay only 2500 dollar".
A guy who stands near by and listens to this discussion intervenes addressing to the fist girl:Hey babe when you'll get to 10 dollars put me also on your list. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secularism in School Bob Kelso 24 5854 April 4, 2014 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Death Threats After Supporting Evolution FemmeRealism 30 13772 September 7, 2012 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  "No secularism please, we're british" Emancipated 12 5173 February 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: MarkOfEnglandshire