Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
more trouble with the Imac;
more trouble with the Imac;
Same machine. I have an ASUS AC1900 router , and I think it's great.

Over the last few months I have had a 2TB external drive attached to the router. That has meant I can access that drive in any device on my internal network ,especially the two TVs.

Yesterday I disconnected the drive from the router.  When I reconnected it, the Mac couldn't find the drive. Still perfectly fine with other devices.

The router is connected to the Mac by ethernet. To other devices by Wifi.

I guess I could try connecting the Mac to Wifi, but I'd rather not. Besides , I want to know what I've done wrong and fix the problem rather than working around it.
RE: more trouble with the Imac;
Sorted.

Stupid error: I didn't reboot properly. Did it again, turning off and disconnecting router and Mac, removing connections and power cables.

Rebooted again; Bingo.
Rebooting can fix all kinds of faults, it works every time except when it doesn't!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I hate Apple so much. Fingerprints on the power button? Water damage, warranty voided! $2 transistor burned out? Heat damage, warranty voided, must replace entire motherboard for 70% of original cost of device! Get 3rd-party guy to replace the $2 transistor for $20? Warranty voided! Better hope you don't have an actually unfixable problem, or you're fucked!

Bought the same Metallica song 5x already? Sorry-- you were stupid enough to purchase a new device, please insert credit card info now. (I guess this last one might be changed now, but. . . fuck!)

Seriously. . . I want that entire company to burn to the fucking ground. How does anyone, ever, think that buying an Apple product is doing anything but sucking Satan's cock?
(March 11, 2019 at 9:09 pm)bennyboy Wrote: I hate Apple so much.  Fingerprints on the power button?  Water damage, warranty voided!  $2 transistor burned out?  Heat damage, warranty voided, must replace entire motherboard for 70% of original cost of device!  Get 3rd-party guy to replace the $2 transistor for $20?  Warranty voided!  Better hope you don't have an actually unfixable problem, or you're fucked!

Bought the same Metallica song 5x already?  Sorry-- you were stupid enough to purchase a new device, please insert credit card info now. (I guess this last one might be changed now, but. . . fuck!)

Seriously. . . I want that entire company to burn to the fucking ground.  How does anyone, ever, think that buying an Apple product is doing anything but sucking Satan's cock?
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9))))))))))))))))))))))))

I pretty much loathe Apple too, but it's a matter of degree. 

Well, I always wanted an iMac, (no other Apple products ), from the first time I saw their all-in-one at a Mall.I though they were just beautiful. Was not impressed  by the wired keyboard and mouse, on purely aesthetic grounds. My Imac came with a magic keyboard and mouse, which was great for about 2 years. Today I use  a wired key board and mouse.

First computer: 1999, pentium 2., windows 98, loved t. Last Windows computer was a spiffy  27 inch Acer all in one. Loved it.

Finally bought the Imac in  March 2016.  I guess I've been lucky; I'ver had no serious issues. IE things I have not been able to eventually sort out myself ,with no cost.. 

Also have Laptop with windows 10. I prefer to run Linux.

As a user, I think Apple OS are superior to windows.Much easier to use, and generally simpler (eg no registry, no fragmentation problems). I still love my Mac.

I have habitually bought a new PC every three years. REAL reason is I like new tech andI like shiny new things--andI can afford it.
Won't be replacing my iMac any time soon.

Will I buy another Mac?  Absolutely not. OF COURSE I'm aware that Macs cost easily twice as much as they should,  hate being ripped off., and loathe Apple's arrogant attitude towards its customers.

I techie friend has been helping me design a PC for when I eventually replace the Mac. I do not play games, so that's a big saving in components. Even so, I will get a spiffy PC, with a fancy tower, and a 32 inch Samsung 1080p monitor, for around $1200.

The most basic 27 inch Imac  I would consider is $1800.

Underneath all of this I understand that corporations are amoral. They have a legal obligation to  consider their stock holders above all else There are NO public companies (or private for that matter) that I trust, and I do not expect any of them to behave ethically or morally. It'sa mater of degree;

Currently there 3 companies on my shit list. That means I will not do business with them or buy their products. This is because I consider their behaviour especially despicable:

Nestle; this goes back many ears, when Nestle sent sales people dressed as nurses, into poor African countries, to sell their baby formula, falsely stating it was it was superior to mother's milk. The formula was also very expensive, so the mothers would water it down. Worst of all was many of these places did not have access to potable water. That meant many babies contracted  dysentery and other diseases, and died. I hold Nestle culpable.

Volkswagen: The company had a world wide conspiracy to falsify the results of emissions tests. I read this criminal conspiracy has led to the premature deaths of about 5000 people. Even without the deaths, I will never buy a Volkswagen product on principle.

Finally: Amazon. The owner of that company is allegedly the world's richest man. Yet Amazon continue to exploit their employee most egregiously, imo. 

So, although we may not specifically agree, I think we probably have some common ground;

Disclaimer: When I say something like like "Macs are superior to Windows," I'm making a personal judgement as a consumer. It is not something I will justify or about which I will argue.
PC computers are freedom, with some of the hiccups that come along with that-- devices that don't always handle PnP properly etc.

Macs are fully integrated, but with a loss of freedom to expand or change your setup easily, and with a real Monopoly on its OS.

I might buy a Mac for a production environment, but for personal use, I'd never risk their BS warranty policy. I've lost $2000 already because my daughter dribbled a bit of soup on the keyboard (I mean, like a spoonful, not a bowlful).
(March 12, 2019 at 12:25 am)bennyboy Wrote: PC computers are freedom, with some of the hiccups that come along with that-- devices that don't always handle PnP properly etc.

Macs are fully integrated, but with a loss of freedom to expand or change your setup easily, and with a real Monopoly on its OS.

I might buy a Mac for a production environment, but for personal use, I'd never risk their BS warranty policy.  I've lost $2000 already because my daughter dribbled a bit of soup on the keyboard (I mean, like a spoonful, not a bowlful).

Yup, makes perfect sense.

Plus of course, my computer use has changed a lot in the last 20 years. Spend much less time playing around with open source programmes. Simply don't need my computer to be as flexible.-

-up to about 5 years ago, I had a little niche business fixing PCs for computer illiterates of my generation. I went to them,$35, no time limit, no fix no charge.Didn't make any money, but met a  lot of interesting people. Always got paid too., although I tended not to charge pensioners.

I don't know about Apple's warranty policy. I can tell you that more than a few large companies have found that our Consumer protection legislation is not optional  Our consumer watch dog has the authority to levy fines in the millions of dollars.

Warranty for the Mac is moot ,as the thing is 3 years old.  However, I have no problem fighting with big companies; I know our consumer law. Often they arrogantly do not.  Pretty sure Apple's company policy about what  voids a warrantee wouldn't  fly here.--their policy  may not be in conflict with our consumer law. Really crumbles my cookies to see how some companies here cheat older customers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buying an Imac Oldandeasilyconfused 11 2504 October 18, 2011 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Jaysyn